Lemon squares have always been a favourite treat. This recipe is easy to follow and everyone always eats them up so fast!
For the Crust
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, frozen
- 3/4 cup confectioner's sugar, plus more for dusting
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
For the Filling
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 4 lemons)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-by-13-inch glass baking dish; line dish with waxed paper.
- 2. Make crust: An adult should grate butter on a cheese grater with large holes. In a separate large bowl, whisk together flour, confectioners' sugar, and salt. Add butter; stir with a wooden spoon until combined and mixture looks crumbly.
- 3. Transfer mixture to baking dish; press evenly onto bottom with your hands. Chill crust in freezer 15 minutes. Bake until slightly golden, 16 to 18 minutes.
- 4. Meanwhile, make filling: In a large (1 quart) liquid measuring cup, whisk together eggs, sugar, flour, and salt until smooth. Stir in lemon juice and milk.
- 5. An adult should remove crust from the oven and pour filling mixture over hot crust. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees and bake until filling is set and edges are slightly golden brown, about 18 minutes. An adult should remove dish from the oven. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- 6. Grip paper; lift out dessert, and set on cutting board. With a sieve, dust with confectioners' sugar. Cut into squares.