I love berry season! I try to take advantage of the cheap and abundant berries while they are readily available. Making loafs and muffins is a great way to use them. This lemon blueberry poppy seed loaf is very tasty and bursting with sweet blueberry and tart lemon flavour.
My dad loves loafs and muffins, so I am always making some for him (to maintain my “best daughter ever” status). When I make a loaf I usually make a second one for giving away. I took the second lemon blueberry poppy seed loaf to a friends house for Bachelorette viewing night. BTW…it pairs well with wine. 🙂
I bake…what’s your superpower?
- 1 2/3 cups flour
- 1 Cup blueberries, fresh
- 2 Tbsp. poppy seeds
- 1 Tsp. baking powder
- 1/8 Tsp. baking soda
- 1 Cup granulated sugar
- 3 Tbsp lemon zest
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 Cup
- 1/4 Cup milk
- 4 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a loaf plan and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
- Add sugar and lemon zest to the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with a paddle. Mix. Add butter to sugar mixture and mix on medium speed.
- Mix in eggs one at a time, adding in vanilla and the last egg.
- In a microwave safe bowl whisk together the milk with sour cream. Heat mixture in microwave just until room temperature.
- Mix all ingredients adding gradually and not over mixing. Add the blueberries and mix lightly so berries don’t break.
- Bake in preheated oven 45 to 50 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool 5 minutes in loaf pan before turning out onto a wire rack.
Enjoy your Wednesday! The weather here looks like it will cool down today. I have really enjoyed getting to the lake several times and hanging out with friends. I am back to work today though. 🙂