This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser, Mars, Incorporated. All opinions are mine alone. #CallAnEatible #SkittlesHomegating #CollectiveBias
If you know me, you know that (1) I like colour, (2) I like sweets, and (3) I love to make food for others. Since football season is upon us, I wanted to share these adorable (and tasty) tailgating or homegating treats made using Skittles®. These rainbow donuts are sure to be the center of attention on the snack table this season.
Not a rainbow fan? How about making them in your team colours! 🙂 Next game, surprise your family and friends and whip up these Skittles rainbow donuts instead of your usual game time sweets.
These rainbow donuts are super easy to make. I have detailed the steps below. They are baked, so they are not too heavy. Did I mention these rainbow donuts are super cute!?!
- 2 2/3 cups flour, all purpose
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar, granulated
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup melted butter, unsalted
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Food colouring paste
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 cups icing sugar
- Skittles, for topping
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Spray a donut pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the milk, sour cream, and eggs until smooth. Whisk in the melted butter, vegetable oil, and vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Divide the batter into small bowls, one for each colour you want in your donuts. Add a small amount of food colouring to each bowl and mix to just combine.
- Spoon the batter into zipped bags or piping bags. Cut a corner off the bottom of the bag and pipe the batter into each donut cup, adding a bit of each colour.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from the pan and cool.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk and icing sugar until smooth.
- Dip the top of each donut into the bowl of glaze, and place on Skittles after glazing.
- Set aside for glaze to set.
What is your favourite flavour or colour of Skittles? I am particularly fond of the sour ones.
I picked up these large bags (perfect for baking and possibly sharing) at my local Fred Meyer. 🙂
Have a wonderful Monday! It is going to be a beautiful week here, which makes me extra happy. I hope to get outside as much as possible.