I adore muffins, maaaaaybe a little too much. But, they are really such a fun treat to make AND to eat! And since I’m SOOOO good at making these carrot blueberry muffins (hehe;) my dad would always take at least one every morning to work. I know they aren’t always super healthy, but really, who eats muffins everyday? Well, my dad does sooo… To each their own!
They are a great treat now and then when you get a craving for them and depending on the type, they may be a bit healthier than a cupcake. I just tell myself that they are just ugly cupcakes. But hey, it is all about what is on the inside that counts, right? And luckily the inside and outside are equally scrumptious.
And I got just the thing for you. These yummy carrot blueberry muffins are the perfect balance of sweetness with just the right texture. They are perfect for an on-the-go breakfast or an after school or workout snack. Not to mention, there is a secret little something in there that you can hide from all your peeps who hate vegetables…carrots! You never have to tell anyone what’s really in them because you can barely tell.
You can just say, “Oh yeah these are Bella’s awesome healthy blueberry muffins!” and they secretly will be getting a healthy dose of Vitamin A! I mean, they will probably want to eat a second one, so they can thank you later for getting in their daily servings of fruits and veggies!
Muffins are just ugly cupcakes.
You can make these muffins directly in a muffin pan, but I like to use liners, especially when they are for to go lunches. These tulip muffin liners are a little “extra” but why not. They make your muffins look cafe style. This is a huge set of tulip muffin liners that will last you quote a while.
I used frozen blueberries in my carrot blueberry muffins, but you can also use fresh blueberries if you can find them in season (and for a good price). My family always has blueberries on their bushes and I try to pick them before someone else does. I just ADORE fresh blueberries.
Carrot Blueberry Muffins
Carrot Blueberry Muffins
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 medium carrots shredded and squeezed dried
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Place rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350 F. Line a 12 cup muffin pan with paper liners and spay the liners lightly with cooking spray.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of the blueberries for garnish. Place the remaining blueberries in a large bowl and lightly crush them with the back of a fork. Add the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt to the blueberries and stir to combine.
- Whisk together the milk, butter, brown sugar, carrots, eggs, lemon zest and vanilla in another bowl, whisking until no clumps of brown sugar remain. Fold the milk mixture into the flour mixture until just combined.
- Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups. Press the reserved blueberries into the tops of the muffins. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and sprinkle the tops of the muffins with the sugar. Rotate the pan and continue to bake until the muffins are golden and a toothpick inserted in the centers comes out clean, 20 to 24 minutes.
- Cool the muffins in the pan for a few minutes, then transfer the muffins to a rack to cool completely.
You might also like this lemon blueberry poppy seed loaf.
I hope you enjoy this carrot blueberry muffin recipe! Let me know if you try it or make any adaptions. I want to try a gluten free version soon or one with zucchini instead of carrot.