My mom loves holiday baking and this is a recipe for cranberry lemon pistachio cookies from Martha Stewart that she has been making for many years. They are almost too pretty to eat. ❤ The tart lemon taste of the icing is my favourite part.
I usually don’t start my Christmas baking this early. I usually end up leaving it to the last minute (NOT GOOD) 🙁 This year I started baking a few weeks ago and I am almost done which means I have more time for other holiday activities in the coming weeks. Yippee!
I hope everyone has a great day. In my Therapeutic Recreation class ( last one this semester!!) we are having a potluck and guess who brought the cookies?! ME!! 🙂
- 1 cup all purpose flour, plus more for work surface
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 large egg yolks, room temperature
- 5 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest, plus 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 3/4 cups icing sugar
- 1 cup shelled unsalted pistachios, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 1. Whisk flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
- 2. Put butter and sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy.
- 3. Mix in yolks, lemon zest, and vanilla. Reduce speed to low, and gradually mix in flour mixture. Shape into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
- 4. Preheat oven to 350 F. Transfer dough to a lightly floured work surface. Roll out to 1/8 inch thick. Using a 2 1/2 inch round fluted cutter, cut out wreaths. Cut out centers of wreaths using a 7/8 inch round cutter.
- 5. Space 2 inches apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Refrigerate until firm, about 15 minutes. Bake until just golden, about 12 minutes.
- 6. Let cool completely on wire racks.
- 7. Stir together icing sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl. Dip surface of each cookie in icing, and sprinkle with pistachios and cranberries.