Mmm, Samoa Cookies – A.K.A “Girl Scout Cookies” and the most delicious sweet treat when you’re feeling a little peckish. This mouthwatering combo of coconut, chocolate, and caramel is super easy to make, and one of my favorite go-to snacks when I want to eat something to ease my sugar cravings. You will love these gluten free vegan samoa cookies!
My version of Samoa Cookies are gluten-free AND vegan, so everyone can safely and happily enjoy their yummy goodness. Trust me when I say that taking one bite out of these will transport you back in time to when you used to eat them every week.
The Samoa Cookie
In fact, I was quite surprised to find out that Samoa cookies have been around since 1976 when they were first introduced. And funnily enough, no one seems to really know how the name Samoa came to be; although, theories around suggest the coconut ingredient plays a part in its name. Coconut is actually one of Samoa island’s top exported foods.
Another idea, which I personally like a whole lot more, is that Samoa sounds like “some more.” So if you want “some more” of these delicious cookies, you only need to say their name – Samoa!
Here are some of my favorite gluten free flours:
I used this Bobs Red Mill gluten free flour in this recipe.
So we know that these Samoa Cookies have been around for over 40 years, but it’s not until recently that people have started making vegan and gluten-free versions of them so that everyone can bask in their yumminess. Plus, today, there are so many different types of girl scout cookies that lack that unique, indulging taste like these ones have.
And remember when I said this is super easy to make? I meant it. You need some gluten-free shortbread, sticky coconut caramel topping, and dairy-free chocolate to dip the cookie in as the final part of the recipe (but I also like to drizzle some more on top, too! I believe that is a firm rule of Samoa Cookies in my books).
Every part of this recipe combines together perfectly to create a cookie that balances the different levels of sweetness from the caramel/chocolate and fresh creaminess from the coconut.
Gluten Free Vegan Samoa Cookie Recipe
Gluten Free Vegan Samoa Cookies
- 2 Cups gluten free flour
- 1 Tsp baking powder
- 1/2 Tsp salt
- 6 Tbsp vegan butter softened
- 1 1/2 Cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 Cup coconut milk
- 2 Cups unsweetened coconut shredded
- 1 1/2 Cups caramels dairy free
- 3 Tbsp coconut milk
- 1 1/2 Cups dairy free chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a bowl combine the gluten free flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a mixer, beat together the softened vegan butter and powdered sugar. Once mixed well, add the coconut milk and beat until mixture is smooth.
- Add in the flour mixture and continue to mix until dough holds together.
- Remove dough from mixer and shape the dough into a disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for about 1 hour.
- Roll the dough to ¼ inch thickness. Using 2 inch round cookie cutter, cut out cookies. Use a smaller round cookie cutter to cut out center of the cookie.
- Place cookies on prepared cookie sheet and bake 12 minutes or until a light golden brown.
- Place unwrapped caramels and coconut milk into double boiler over low heat. Heat and stir until smooth.
- Remove approximately a 1/2 cup of the caramel mixture. Quickly spread a thin layer of caramel on top of each cooked and cooled cookie.
- Add the shredded coconut to the remaining caramel mixture. Top each cookie with the coconut caramel mixture. If the coconut mixture starts to harden, return to the double boiler briefly.
- Place cookies back on the prepared baking sheet. Chill for about 15 minutes.
- When caramel on the cookies has set, melt the chocolate chips in a bowl in the microwave.
- Dip the bottom of each cookie in the melted chocolate and scrape off the excess. Place the cookie back onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Pour the remaining melted chocolate in a piping bag or Ziploc bag with a corner cut. Drizzle over top of all the cookies. Alternately, use a spoon to drizzle the chocolate over each cookie.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.
Whether it’s to reminisce on the Girl Scout days and eat a nostalgic food from your childhood or you simply want to relish in these Samoa Cookies for their incredible taste, now you can make them yourself right at home in a gluten-free and vegan way.
Best of all, you don’t have to eat all of them right away. Seal them in an airtight container and eat the cookies throughout the week as your go-to sweet snack like I do, or make them for a friend/relative so you can enjoy them together!
Let me know if you make this gluten free vegan samoa cookies!