If you want to make special donuts for St. Patrick’s Day or Easter, these easy air fryer donuts are perfect. Air fryer Lucky Charms marshmallow donuts are soft and sweet and they’re coated with marshmallow icing and then topped with Lucky Charms. They are made with canned buttermilk biscuits as a shortcut making this a quick and easy recipe.
Did you know you could make donuts with only 6 ingredients along with 1 optional one? This has to be one of the easiest donut recipes ever!
Easy Air Fryer Donuts Ingredients
This Lucky Charms donut recipe is sure to appeal to everyone’s palate. Kids will love the cute mini marshmallows on top and you will love how simple these donuts made with canned buttermilk biscuits are. They’re versatile enough for various occasions and you can customize them too if you like.
The main ingredient in air fryer Lucky Charms marshmallow donuts is biscuit dough and you can use any brand. Make sure you pick the jumbo size though, so they result in nice, thick donuts!
These easy air fryer donuts topped with Lucky Charms also call for cooking spray, butter, mini marshmallows, powdered sugar, Lucky Charms marshmallows, and (optionally) gold sparkle sprinkles.
You can use any kind of cooking spray and swap the unsalted butter for salted if that’s all you have. It really doesn’t make much difference.
Powdered sugar is the same thing as confectioners’ sugar and icing sugar. As for the gold sparkle sprinkles, they’re optional but do look very pretty on the finished Lucky Charms donut recipe. The sprinkles look like the gold you might find at the end of a rainbow! Well, if you have the luck of the Irish that is!
How to Make Air Fryer Lucky Charms Marshmallow Donuts
Cut holes out of the center of the rolled out biscuits. These will be the donut holes. You can either throw them out or save them for another use. Make them very small if you’re throwing them out so you don’t have to waste much of the dough!
Next you can cook these easy air fryer donuts in a preheated air fryer. You will need to flip them partway through. The exact cooking time for air fryer Lucky Charms marshmallow donuts depends on your air fryer.
Let them cool on cooling racks while you prepare the glaze. Melt butter in a pan then mix in mini marshmallows and keep stirring until the marshmallows melt.
Take it off the heat then mix in the powdered sugar and then some milk. Once the mixture is smooth, you can dip the donuts into it using a pair of tongs. Let them cool and the excess to drip off.
Now arrange Lucky Charms marshmallows on top before the icing dries and let them set. If liked, you can sprinkle on some gold sprinkles too.
How to Cut Out Donut Holes
These donuts for St. Patrick’s Day or Easter might be made with canned buttermilk biscuits but to keep them authentic don’t forget the donut holes!
Use a small cookie cutter or the end of a piping bag nozzle (the wide end) to cut out holes. If you don’t have either, just use a sharp knife instead and make the hole about an inch in diameter.
Lucky Charms Donut Recipe FAQs
This Lucky Charms donut recipe made with canned buttermilk biscuits will keep for up to 3 days before starting to dry out. Keep them at room temperature in an airtight container for the best results.
Icing, or the donut glaze, can’t be rushed! Well it can be but then you might encounter lumpy icing and that’s not what you want. Even topped with Lucky Charms they won’t look so good.
To make sure your icing comes out perfect, make sure you sift the powdered sugar to remove any lumps from it. Keep warming up the marshmallows and butter until the marshmallow are completely melted, before taking the pan off the heat.
You might end up with some powdered sugar on the sides of the pan but you can use the milk to mix this in. If you are left with any little lumps you can always disguise them with some extra Lucky Charms!
Air Fryer Lucky Charms Marshmallow Donuts Recipe
Air Fryer Lucky Charms Marshmallow Donuts
- 1 Can buttermilk biscuits 16 Ounces, jumbo size
- cooking spray
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 7 Cups mini marshmallows
- 1 1/2 Cup powdered sugar sifted
- Lucky Charms Marshmallows for topping
- sprinkles Gold sparkle, optional
- Preheat the air fryer to 325 degrees F.
- While the air fryer is preheating, prepare the biscuits. Start by using a 1 inch round biscuit cutter or the large end of a piping tip to cut a small 1 inch round hole in the center of the biscuit. Repeat this step on all of the biscuits. You may discard the donuts holes.
- Next, line a baking sheet with a layer of parchment paper. Then on top of the parchment paper, place a cooling rack. This will catch the excess icing while it sets on the donuts later in the process. Set aside.
- Once the air fryer is preheated, spray the bottom of the air fryer basket with a light coating of cooking spray and place biscuits in the basket. Bake for 3 minutes and then flip and bake for an additional 2 minutes or until slightly golden brown. NOTE: Air fryer times will vary based on size and model.
- Repeat this step until all the donuts are baked. Place the lightly golden brown donuts on the prepared cooling rack to cool.
- Next, use a medium-large saucepan over medium heat to gently melt 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter. Once the unsalted butter is melted, quickly reduce the heat to low and add 7 cups of mini marshmallows. Stir the mini marshmallows and butter together until combined and the mini marshmallows are completely melted. You should not see lumps in the marshmallows. Remove from heat.
- Next, gradually blend in 1 ½ cups of sifted powdered sugar into the marshmallow mixture. Continue to blend together until all of the ingredients are combined. There may be some powdered sugar stuck to the sides. Then gradually add in ⅛ cup of milk to thin the mixture and to remove most of the remaining powdered sugar from the sides. Continue to blend the icing until it has a smooth and ice-like texture.
- Then using a pair of tongs, dip each donut into the warm marshmallow icing taking care to only dip the tops of the donut. Allow the freshly iced donuts to cool and drip while they are on the cooling rack.
- Once all of your donuts are iced, carefully place Lucky Charms marshmallows onto the wet glaze. Allow to cool and set on the cooling rack for at least 15 minutes.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.
The Best Donuts for St. Patrick’s Day or Easter
These donuts are great for either of these holidays and they’re also fun to make ‘just because’ – who knew you could make such delicious air fryer donuts with only 6 ingredients!
Other Recipes You Will Love
Bella Bucchiotti is a storyteller, food lover, dog mom and adventure seeker living on the Pacific coast. She shares her passion for food, dogs, fitness, adventures, travel and philanthropy, in hopes of encouraging followers to run the extra mile, try new recipes, visit unfamiliar places and stand for a cause. Bella lives with Type 1 Diabetes and Celiac Disease.
These look so good. Love they are made with biscuit dough
Omg these are so cute! I love air fryer recipes
I have never heard to use biscuit dough instead. That’s genius! I feel some new St. Patrick’s day treats about to appear at my house… 🙂
What a fun treat to make for a special occasion! Kids would love making these and decorating them!!
Air fryer donuts?! Why haven’t I tried that yet. Can’t wait to make them.
These donuts look so easy to make in the air fryer! A great treat for St. Patrick’s Day!