If you thought a shamrock shake or pint of Guinness were the only options for St. Patty’s Day, let me introduce these magical rainbow pot o’ gold Jello vodka shots! You only need 6 ingredients, one of which is boiling water, and these rainbow shots are so pretty! These rainbow shots with a Jello sky and Cool Whip clouds are perfect for St. Patrick’s Day or Pride Day. I am quite certain this is the cutest St. Patrick’s Day cocktail ever!
They boast plenty of berry taste as well as creaminess and they’re garnished with candy rainbows and gold star sprinkles so you can just imagine how cute they look and how yummy they are.
This St. Patrick’s Day cocktail is versatile enough for either St. Patrick’s Day or Pride Day because of the sour rainbow candy. So it’s well worth making these versatile Jello sky and Cool Whip clouds shots.
Ingredients for Rainbow Shots
Along with blue Jello and water to make it, plus vodka and whipped topping, you will need rainbow candies and gold sprinkles. I love these edible gold stars but you can use any kind you want.
Any blue-coloured Jello would work, and any type of vodka. Cool Whip is a great whipped topping to use or you can use another type if you prefer or even freshly whipped cream although that does tend to melt into the Jello and won’t look as tidy. You will want the blue Jello sky and Cool Whip clouds to resemble the sky and clouds underneath that magical rainbow.
How to Make this St. Patrick’s Day Cocktail
Since rainbow pot o’ gold Jello vodka shots are made with gelatin, you will need to give them time to set so make them well ahead.
Dissolve the gelatin powder in boiling water then mix in the vodka. Pour this into a scratch-resistant baking pan then chill for 2 hours in the refrigerator until thickened. Scrape it with a fork to crumble it.
If you let the Jello set more it will be harder to crumble but you can always crumble it after 2 hours then keep the crumbled pieces until you’re ready to assemble the rainbow pot o’ gold Jello vodka shots.
The next step for this St. Patrick’s Day cocktail is to add some of the Jello mixture to a shot glass then add some whipped topping. Try to make cloud shapes with the whipped topping. You don’t need to be too exact when layering the ‘sky’ and ‘clouds’ since cloud formations are pretty random anyway!
Once you’ve finished making the Jello sky and Cool Whip clouds, add more whipped topping them make an arch with a rainbow candy belt and press each end into the creamy topping. Sprinkle some edible gold stars at the end of the rainbow to finish the rainbow pot o’ gold Jello vodka shots off perfectly.
How to Store These Rainbow Shots
These St. Patrick’s Day or Pride Day vodka shots will keep for up to 2 days if you keep them covered with plastic wrap and refrigerated. Since the gold stars tend to sink slowly through the cream topping, I’d recommend adding those shortly before serving. Else your ‘pot of gold’ is going to be floating in the ‘clouds’ rather than at the end of the rainbow where it’s supposed to be!
7 Curious Facts about St. Patrick’s Day
- The first celebration of St. Patrick’s Day in North America was in 1737 in Boston.
- The reason shamrocks are associated with this holiday is they are the national emblem of Ireland.
- According to legend, the 4 leaves on a clover represent love, hope, faith, and luck.
- Beer is the most popular beverage but shamrock shake is also in demand on St. Patrick’s Day.
- The shortest parade is held in an Irish village and it only lasts the 100 yards between 2 pubs!
- St. Patrick was never actually canonized by the Pope, so he’s a ‘saint’ in name only!
- Chicago dyes the river green for several hours on St. Patrick’s Day and has done so since 1962.
Are you thinking of having a St. Patrick’s Day party at your house this year? Now only are these St. Patrick’s Day rainbow shots ideal but you can also have fun decorating. How about making a balloon garland with green, white and gold balloons so people can take selfies there?
Rainbow Pot O’ Gold Jello Vodka Shots Recipe
Rainbow Pot O’ Gold Jello Vodka Shots
- 2 Cup water boiling
- 1 Box gelatin 6 Ounces, blue
- 2 Cups vodka chilled
- 8 Ounces whipped topping such as Cool Whip
- 8 candy Rainbow coloured candy belts, such as Airheads Xtremes, halved
- sprinkles gold, I used these gold stars
To Make Jello Mixture
- Remove boiling water from heat source. In a 1.5-quart saucepan (or other similarly sized heatproof container), add gelatin to boiling water. Whisk until gelatin has completely dissolved. Add chilled vodka. Stir to mix.
- Pour gelatin-vodka mixture into a 9”x13” scratch-resistant baking dish. (You will be using a fork to crumble the gelatin after it has been refrigerated.) Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours. Gelatin will be under-set.
- Remove gelatin from the refrigerator and, using a fork, scrape its surface, crumbling the gelatin into small pieces. Continue scraping until all of the gelatin has been crumbled.
To Assemble the Shots
- Using a spoon, place about 2-teaspoons of the crumbled gelatin into the bottom of a 2-ounce shot glass. With another spoon, tap a small amount of the whipped topping onto the interior of the shot glass, forming cloud shapes just above the gelatin line. Continue making “clouds” in layers, filling with gelatin as you work your way up the side of the shot glass, until you reach the top. Don’t worry about perfection. Clouds are imperfect!
- Dollop or pipe whipped topping onto the top of the filled shot glass. Creating an arch with your candy belt, insert each end into the whipped topping until it stands on its own. Finish off with gold sprinkles at the end of the candy rainbow.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.
Consider a fun costume contest and play Irish music. You could also make some other festive drinks or simply add green food dye to beer!