YOU DID IT. You booked the tickets and the hotel for your first time at Disneyland – the time has finally come. It’s like you just won the Super Bowl and get asked, “What are you going to do now?” The answer? YOU’RE GOING TO DISNEYLAND!
First Time at Disneyland – YEAH!
The happiest place on earth is about to get a little happier with you and your loved ones around. But, you might get the feeling of being a little overwhelmed. Everyone is telling you EVERYTHING you HAVE to do when you go. “Go here, go there! Go everywhere!” It can be a lot, especially if you have no idea what they’re even explaining to you. I have broken down a fun, little guide for you to beat that anxiety of missing out on anything you would want to do. Here is everything that you have to try or ride when it is your first time at Disneyland!
*Disclaimer – this is for Disneyland Resort in California since there is a lot different between that and Walt Disney World Resort in Florida!
- Churros. Disneyland’s signature treat, the fried and sweet churro! The people selling them tend to always give you a hard time, too. So don’t be fooled when they tell you that your shoes are untied when you’re wearing sandals! Not like that happened to me or anything….
- Dole Whip. The most amazing thing to ever grace the presence of Disneyland and this entire world. If you are a fan of pineapple and happiness, you HAVE to get a Dole Whip at the Tiki Bar in Adventureland.
- Mickey Shaped Beignets. Found at the Mint Julep Bar in the New Orleans Square, you need to try these sweet treats – not to mention, you will really feel like you might be in NOLA, too!
- Monte Cristo Sandwich. You can get this infamous and gigantic sandwich in both Blue Bayou or the Cafe Orleans. They both serve it with different sauces, but nonetheless, you might need to find a buddy to split it with. It. Is. A. Lot.
- Parmesan Pommes Frites w/ Cajun Spice Remoulade. I have one word for you – YUM. This fancy fries can be found in most of the cafes, but are for sure at the Blue Bayou. The Cajun Spice remoulade really gives it that fancy, yet flavorful kick that ketchup just won’t do.
If you check out my dream trip to Disney blog, there are more details about some gluten free options I found on my last trip.
- It’s A Small World. Yes, it’s a kiddie ride, but it’s fun to just sit back and enjoy the nostalgia of one of the originals in the park. It gives you those feels that the world really can be so beautiful and simple
- The Matterhorn. AH. SO FUN. (And it’s nice and cold inside if you go during the summer!) This fun mini roller coaster starts at the bottom of the mountain and chugs all the way to the top before you are met by a giant abominable snowman! Watch out!
- Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance. This is a NEW massive ride that is unlike anything you’ve ever experienced at Disneyland or anywhere else in the galaxy! This ride is popular so use the Disney app to reserve your boarding group and be on the app just before 8am because it fills up fast.
- Splash Mountain. Okay, you have to go on this literally 5 times especially in the summer season. You start by floating down the river in a log and enjoying all the singing animals. HOWEVER – WHAT’S THIS? You start go uphill and are greeted by two dastardly fellows insinuating an impending doom. And down the mountain you go! Water splashes over you as you get your picture taken at the worst possible time. It’s my favourite.
- Space Mountain. This indoor semi-roller coaster makes it look like you are literally travelling through space. The lights are off and all you can see are sparkles of stars throughout. You speed through as if you’re on hyperspeed for one of the best times of your life.
- Indiana Jones. It’s adventure time all the time with Mr. Jones! Hop into a Jeep with your crew and go through the jungles and challenges that Indiana Jones himself has achieved! But be careful, that rolling boulder will get you every time!
- Characters. It will be soooo worth it to stand in line and meet your favourite Disney characters. You can also get a book where they all can give you their autograph that you can have forever! I mean who DOESN’T want to give Pluto a big puppy hug?!
- Cinderella’s Castle. The iconic centrepiece of every Disney park around the world, you have to get a photo op in front of the majestic castle where all kinds of dreams come true. FYI – you’re bound to see a proposal in front of there so just get ready to cry just as much as the person being proposed to!
- Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge. The new Star Wars Land is beyond cool, especially if you are HUGE STAR WARS FAN! Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge is more than 14 acres and the largest single-themed land in Disney Parks history, packed with immersive storytelling that lets you to live your own Star Wars adventures.
- The Fireworks Show. Have you ever seen Tinkerbell fly across the night sky? You will if you stick around as the park is closing. Fireworks light up the sky and music plays down the street to get everyone excited and nostalgic.
- ToonTown. Hey, 80s and 90s kids – this one’s for you. ToonTown is SO MUCH FUN. You get to see the different animated side of Disney that a lot of us grew up on. Test your luck running around the streets and not get hit in the head with an Acme anvil!
- Mid-Day Street Shows. Every day, they have different street shows going on. From whatever show or movie is popular at the time, you will have a chance to see your favourite stars dancing in the streets with a whole parade behind partying them! Music will blast the streets and people will run into the audience to get you ready for a street party!
Whatever you decide to do on your first time at Disneyland – just have fun and take lots of pictures! You only have your first time at Disney once so be sure to make the most of it. There will be a lot of fun to look forward to and memories to cherish forever!
This post about your first time at Disneyland has been sponsored by Disneyland. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that support me.