If you are a Panda Express fan (like me!) you’ll love this Panda Express copycat recipe for wok seared steak and shrimp. It’s like an Asian surf and turf with beef and shrimp. The flavours include soy sauce, chilli sauce, ginger, and garlic. Enjoy this copycat steak bites and shrimp stir fry for lunch of dinner, or make it to impress your friends.
Stir fries tend to be quick and easy, which is one reason they’re so popular. This one pairs juicy beef and shrimp with crunchy vegetables as well as that Panda Express Asian sauce we all know and love.
Ingredients for Wok Seared Steak and Shrimp
The beef and shrimp are of course the proteins in this Panda Express copycat recipe. Choose good quality proteins. I like to use angus sirloin and medium shrimp.
The recipe also includes salt, red and black pepper, potato, cornstarch, sugar snaps, bell pepper, and onion. The sauce is made using soy sauce, mirin, chilli sauce and hot sauce, butter, garlic, ginger, shallot, cornstarch, and rice vinegar.
To tone the heat down a little you can omit the red pepper flakes, chilli sauce and/or hot sauce (although, trust me: this is amazing with a splash of sriracha!)
Angus steak tends to be well-marbled, making it a little fattier than some other cuts. You can use a leaner cut if you wish, perhaps a lean strip steak or similar. As for the shrimp, any size would work but I typically use the medium-sized ones, keeping the little ones for shrimp salad or omelette and the large ones for recipes such as Caribbean smoked spiced shrimp.
How to Make Wok Seared Steak and Shrimp
As many stir fry recipes are, this Asian surf and turf is pretty straightforward to put together. Mix the sauce ingredients together then divide the salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes between two bowls. Toss the shrimp with the mixture in one bowl and the steak in the other one along with the potatoes and cornstarch.
Next heat some oil in a wok and then stir fry the potatoes and steak for a few minutes. Remove the steak to a dish. Add the vegetables to the wok with the potatoes and cook for a few minutes.
Pour the sauce you prepared earlier into the steak bits and shrimp stir fry mixture. Cook for several minutes, stirring often. Add the shrimp and cook on both sides then add the steak, stir, cover the wok, take it off the heat.
Let this Panda Express copycat recipe sit in the wok for a few minutes, before serving, garnished with green onions if liked. Yummy!
What to Serve with Wok Seared Steak and Shrimp
This Asian surf and turf has potatoes in it as well as meat and other veggies, so it would work as a meal in itself. However, it’s always nice to enjoy a side dish so consider simple boiled or steamed rice or noodles tossed in a little sesame oil.
Steak Bites and Shrimp Stir Fry FAQs
You will find the veggies in this Panda Express copycat recipe to be interchangeable. Feel free to swap the russet potato for sweet potato. Other vegetables which can go in there along with, or instead of, the others, include zucchini, broccoli, garden peas, carrots, and mushrooms. So feel free to mix and match.
The exact cooking time for shrimp depends on the heat as well as their size. Fortunately there’s a great way to tell whether they’re done. In fact there are two ways. First of all they will change from gray to pink. Second they will change their shape.
If they are curled in a C-shape they’re done. If they’re curled in an O-shape they’re overdone and will probably be rubbery! So keep an eye on them and, if in doubt, take one out of the wok and cut it in half to see if the middle is still cold and glossy or if it’s cooked through.
Wok Seared Steak and Shrimp Recipe
Wok Seared Steak and Shrimp – Panda Express Copycat Recipe
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 1 Teaspoon black pepper fresh cracked from a pepper mill
- ½ Teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 Pound sirloin steak angus
- ½ Pound shrimp
- 1 potato russet, peeled and diced
- 2 Teaspoon cornstarch
- 6 oz sugar snap peas
- 2 red bell peppers roughly chopped
- 1 yellow onion sliced
- 5 green onions garnish
- ¼ Cup soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoon mirin
- 2 Tablespoon chili sauce red
- ¼ Cup unsalted butter softened
- 3 Cloves garlic minced
- 1 Teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 shallot minced
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- 1 Teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 Teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 Pinch pepper
- Heat a wok over high heat.
- Combine all ingredients for the sauce in a small mixing bowl. Lightly stir. The butter will melt into the sauce as it cooks so it is ok for it to be slightly lumpy.
- Add salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to a small bowl or ramekin and stir to combine. Separate into 2 bowls. One for the steak, one for the shrimp.
- Add shrimp to a bowl and toss with seasoning.
- Season steak on both sides with the seasoning, then cut into 1” pieces. Add to a separate bowl and combine with potatoes. Toss steak and potatoes with cornstarch.
- Add 1 tbsp canola oil to the wok. Add the steak and potatoes and stir fry for 3 minutes. Remove the steak and set aside.
- Next, add the sugar snap peas, bell peppers, and onions to the wok. Stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the sauce to the wok and lower the heat to medium setting. Stir often as it thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Make a hole in the center of the wok and add the shrimp. Let cook in the simmering sauce for 1 minute, then flip shrimp over and cook for 30 more seconds. Turn off the heat. Add the steak back to the wok and stir to combine. Cover and let set for 5 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with green onions.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.
This amazing wok seared steak and shrimp is a Panda Express copycat recipe featuring beef and shrimp. You will find this steak bites and shrimp stir fry tastes just like the Asian surf and turf at a restaurant.