Living as someone with celiac disease while also being allergic to a bunch of things (just for the record, I’m allergic to gluten, dairy, eggs, peanuts, cucumber, pineapple, cauliflower, broccoli, whey, green peppers, banana, crab, and lemon), can be difficult at times to find meals that work for me. Watch my day in the life of a celiac vlog for a bit of a typical day!
Having celiac disease means that I get an immune reaction to gluten, so I have to avoid it at all costs. Even foods that you wouldn’t think of such as salad dressing and hot dogs can contain gluten! So, you could see where it can get tricky grocery shopping at times.
Because I’m super open with my journey dealing with celiac disease, I’ve been getting some questions on what foods I like to pick up while shopping and some easy meals to throw together. I figured the best way to show what I eat in a day is by filming a day in the life of a celiac vlog where I show you all my meals plus some of my favourite gluten-free brands to shop from!
Life of a Celiac Vlog
For breakfast, I usually whip up a yummy bowl of gluten-free oatmeal with dairy-free milk and add in cinnamon and fresh fruit (this day I used blueberries). I topped it off with peaches, almond butter, and some hemp seeds for protein. I typically eat oatmeal for breakfast because it keeps me feeling full for a while and I’m allergic to eggs, so they’re out of the picture.
After my run, I ate a lunch of peppers, peaches, grapefruit and two mini sandwiches with spicy chicken on gluten-free vegan buns. Having a lunch filled with nutritious veggies, protein, and fruit really helps to revive me after a long run!
For dinner, I made Italian sausage and gluten-free spaghetti in a tomato mushroom pesto sauce. This sauce is insanely delicious and super easy too. Just blend up some cooked tomatoes and mushrooms and add your favorite pesto sauce!
Here are some of my favourite gluten-free foods that you can find at most grocery stores or on Amazon:
- When I’m in the mood for a granola bar, I typically go for Made Good Bars. My favorite flavors are the chocolate chip and caramel. I also like the Good To Go bars too.
- The Sweet Potato Sweetened Chews have almost a gummy texture but are super good if you want a sweet but healthy snack.
- Martin’s Apple Chips are my all-time favorite snack. They’re crunchy and sweet and just ugh, perfect.
- I love eating The Good Bean Chickpeas with Sea Salt when I’m in the mood for something salty, plus they’re high in protein. Basically, a win-win all around.
- If I’m looking for regular potato chips, I opt for either Hardbite or Kettle chips.
In my video, I also talk about more of my favourite gluten-free dressings, pasta, and even my top gluten free flour picks!
Let me know if you want to see more of these types of videos or if you have any other celiac videos you want me to film!