Does it seem like air fryers have been around forever? I love mine and find all kinds of great recipes for it, but they really haven’t been around so long. The last recipe I made in there was gluten free beef taquitos. And believe me, the air fryer crisped them up just as much as a deep fryer without all the oil. These air fryer taquitos make a simple gluten free Mexican dinner that everyone will love. If you are looking for an easy taquito recipe, you will love these. This is the best air fryer recipe!
I am going to experiment with air fryer taquitos again, maybe trying chicken ones next time.
This is the best air fryer recipe for taquitos and you don’t need any hard to get ingredients either. Whether it’s ‘taco Tuesday’ or not, switch things up by making this easy taquito recipe instead of tacos. I promise this gluten free Mexican dinner will wow you!
Easy Taquito Recipe Ingredients
I used corn tortillas to make these because they’re gluten-free. If you don’t specifically need gluten-free beef taquitos, flour tortillas would also work. Some people prefer one over the other.
Tip: If your corn tortillas aren’t so fresh, you might need to steam them a little. Do this before rolling up the taquitos so they don’t crack when rolled.
The beef mixture is made with ground beef, onion and bell pepper. I also add garlic and paprika for flavour. When the filling is cool you can mix in a couple of beaten eggs and this helps hold it all together. Then you can roll the mixture up in tortillas, adding in some cheese too.
Use whichever kind of shredded cheese you want. Marble cheese is good, or you might prefer a Tex-Mex blend.
It’s important to roll these tightly, to enclose the beefy filling, and keep them that way. You will need either corn husk strips or kitchen twine to tie them together. You can snip this off after they’re cooked. If you don’t have either, a couple of toothpicks in each taquito would work too.
A little cooking spray (I like to use avocado oil rather than a canola blend) is the final ingredient in this gluten-free beef taquitos recipe and you won’t need a lot of it.
Tips for Making Air Fryer Taquitos
It’s best to spray the bottom and sides of the air fryer with cooking spray because you don’t want the taquitos to stick. You can also spray the tops of the taquitos. This helps them crisp up and turn golden brown. As long as they aren’t touching you can cook as many as will fit at once.
It is important for the hot air to be able to circulate. This is how air fryer taquitos cook, after all. So do make sure you leave space between them.
If your air fryer is a larger model, you can cook this gluten-free Mexican dinner in larger batches. To do this, use a rack in the air fryer so you have two levels of taquitos. You’ll need to rotate them halfway through so they all cook evenly.
Different air fryers cook differently, so these gluten-free beef taquitos might take less or more time in your machine than mine. You’ll see when they’e done because they’ll be crispy and golden brown all over.
Using strips of corn husk to tie the taquitos is an easy way to help them keep their shape and not open while they cook. The bonus is they look great, too!
What to Serve with this Easy Taquito Recipe
One of the best things about gluten-free Mexican dinner recipes like this is the condiments and sides! This is perhaps the best air fryer recipe if you love personalizing your taquitos that way.
Let’s see – your options include guacamole, sour cream, tomato salsa, tomatillo salsa, hot sauce, shredded iceberg, and cilantro. Crumbled queso fresco or cotija cheese would add a nice south of the border touch. Even feta would work if you can’t get the Mexican cheese.
You could serve this as a complete meal. Maybe add some Mexican rice on the side.
Another great way to serve gluten-free beef taquitos is as an appetizer. In that case, present them with a trio of sour cream, salsa and guacamole on the side. These are great for dipping! Cheese dip and bean dip are other options.
So if you’re looking for an air fryer taquitos recipe for a quick weeknight dinner, try this! It’s the best air fryer recipe for crispy taquitos and you can vary the fillings too. These gluten-free beef taquitos would be great with different vegetables, maybe mushrooms or corn, and you can use different cheeses.
Gluten Free Beef Taquitos Recipe
Air Fryer Gluten Free Beef Taquitos
ground beef mixture:
- 700 Grams lean ground beef
- 1 onion
- 1 green pepper
- 2 Tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp. paprika powder
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil for sautéing
- 1 Pinch salt to taste
- 1 Pinch pepper to taste
Assembling the taquitos
- 2 eggs
- 24 corn tortillas soft
- 2 Cup marble cheese shredded
Ground Beef Mixture
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat, and sauté onions together with the green peppers, stirring until the onions sweated and turned slightly brown and the green peppers softened.
- Add ground beef, stirring and breaking down any large pieces. Sauté until the meat turned slightly brown.
- Add garlic powder and paprika and continue to sauté until the ground beef are fully cooked and slightly crispy.
- Take the pan off the heat, season with salt and pepper to taste.
Assembling the Taquitos
- Transfer the ground beef mixture into a bowl,stirring continuously to let the mixture cools.
- Whisk 2 eggs in a small bowl.
- Once the ground beef mixture is cool (about 5 to10 minutes), add eggs and mix well.
- On a clean work surface or a plate, lay down one corn husk strip (or kitchen string) sideways (in horizontal position). Place a soft corn tortilla on top of the strip.
- Put 1 tablespoon of shredded cheese on the tortilla, forming a line from top to bottom (vertically). Add 1-1/2 tablespoon of ground beef mixture on top of the cheese.
- Roll the tortilla. Start by taking the right side and bring it over to the left, covering the cheese and meat mixture. Tuck the edge under the filling mixture, then slowly and as tight as possible, roll the tortilla.
- Tie the corn husk strip/kitchen string securely around the middle of the roll. Push any filling that might have come out of the ends back into roll and cut off the excess length of the strip/string.
- Repeat the process for the remainder of the tortillas.
Air Frying the Taquitos
- Spray the base and sides of your air-fryer basket with avocado oil spray, including the extra rack (if available).
- Place as many taquitos in the basket and rack as you can without crowding them and spray the top with avocado oil spray.
- If using the extra rack, set the heat to 375° and timer to 8 minutes. Check the taquitos on the extra rack after 8 minutes, leave the ones on the basket below. Once the top surface is brown and crispy, flip them over, so the bottom side can get crispy as well.
- Fry for another 4 minutes and check again, adding another 2 minutes of cooking time if necessary. Once they are brown and crispy, remove the taquitos on the top layer along with the rack. Flip the remaining taquitos over, so the bottom side can get crispy, and fry for another 4 minutes.
- If using only one basket, set the heat to 375° and timer to 6 minutes. Check the taquitos and once the top surface is brown and crispy, flip them over, so the bottom side can get crispy as well. Fry for another 3 minutes. Once the top and bottom side are golden brown and crispy, take the taquitos out of the fryer. Add 2 minutes of additional time if the taquitos are not yet crispy.
- Corn husks can be purchased on Amazon or Latin food stores. Alternatively, you can use kitchen string (cut into 7” length for each taquito), or toothpicks to close each end of the taquito. If using corn husks, soak them in water for 5 minutes and dry well prior to using. This will make them are easier to work with and will not snap easily. Tear the corn husk into strips (by hand or with scissors), about ¼” wide per strip
- Do not crowd the taquitos on the basket or on the extra rack to make sure there is plenty of space for hot air to circulate. I am using the InstaPot Air Fryer to make this recipe and each basket and rack can fit taquitos
- Cooking time depends on your air fryer. If in doubt, use less cooking time and keep checking the taquitos and adding more cooking time until they are crispy, flipping them over so that the other side can get crispy as well
- There are many toppings/condiments you can serve with taquitos: sour cream, guacamole, hot sauce (Valentina’s recommended), shredded iceberg lettuce, chopped fresh coriander, crumbled cotija or feta cheese, or any combinations of these
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.
If you want them spicy, add some hot sauce to the filling mixture or serve it at the table. You can sub in ground pork, turkey or even make them vegetarian. I love how versatile this easy taquito recipe is. It always satisfies my craving when I want something crunchy and corn tortillas make them gluten-free. It’s perfect!
Let me know if you try out these tasty gluten free beef taquitos. These air fryer taquitos make a simple gluten free Mexican dinner that everyone will love. If you are looking for an easy taquito recipe, you will love these. This is the best air fryer recipe!