Blending sweetness, tartness and a creamy texture, a lemon posset brûlée is elegant enough for a dinner party as well as simple enough to become a real staple. If you love the zingy zippy flavour of lemons, you’re going to love this easy posset recipe with lemon juice, lemon zest, cream, sugar and, if you want it, a splash of vanilla too. This lemon dessert is a TikTok trend that you are sure to love!
You only need 3 ingredients to make these lemon possets with brûlée topping and it’s so easy to prepare. The tangy taste of lemons is the main flavour in this scrumptious dessert and the balance of sweet and tart is perfect.
Why You’ll Love It
Easy: Recipes like this TikTok lemon posset, made with just three ingredients, are always handy to know. You can rustle this tasty treat up in next to no time, making it ideal for a dinner party or special occasion.
Delicious: Some desserts are the kind that some of us love while others really don’t. But that isn’t really the case with this simple lemon posset because almost everyone loves the flavours of lemon and vanilla.
Adaptable: Although this is a very simple recipe, you can change things up if you wish. Leave out the vanilla if you just want a lemon taste, or use Meyer lemons, Eureka lemons or any other variety. Choose from any garnish you like, from mixed berries to a sprig of mint.
Ingredients for Lemon Posset Brûlée
All you’re going to need to make lemon posset is lemons (lemon juice and lemon zest), heavy cream or double cream, white sugar, and perhaps also some vanilla extract too, if you want.
How to Make TikTok Lemon Posset
For more detailed instructions with weights and measurements, jump to the printable recipe card.
Prepare the lemons: Cut the lemons into lengthwise halves, juice them and discard the lemon pips, then remove the lemon flesh with a spoon.
Make the sweet cream mixture: Simmer the cream and sugar together, then add some of the lemon juice and, if using, the vanilla, and remove from heat.
Fill the lemon halves: Divide the cream mixture between the lemon halves, then cool, cover, and refrigerate overnight.
Make the brûlée topping: Sprinkle some white sugar on top of each dessert and melt with a kitchen torch (here) until golden, then refrigerate and serve.
Substitutions and Variations
As well as choosing from different kinds of lemons (any will work!) you can also adjust the amount of sugar you use, adding less or more as you prefer.
Also, the brûlée topping is optional so you can omit that if you want. And if you want to try lime, orange or grapefruit in place of the lemons, go ahead!
How to Serve a Lemon Posset Dessert
Serve these lemon desserts chilled, perhaps garnished with fresh berries or even a sprig of mint for a contrasting colour. If you’re making these for a special occasion, consider a pairing with your favourite fruity cocktail such as watermelon paloma or apple cider mojito.
How to Store a Lemon Posset Dessert Served in a Lemon
Store: These lemon posset desserts will keep for 2 to 3 days in the refrigerator covered with plastic wrap.
Freeze: This dessert isn’t a good candidate for freezing since it will separate when you thaw it.
Lemon Posset with Brûlée Topping FAQs
A posset is a chilled dessert made with lemon-flavoured thickened cream, although other kinds of citrus fruit can also be used. Historically, back in the 1400s, the definition of posset was a hot milk based beverage curdled with wine, ale or another type of alcohol, and spiced. These days though, the word only refers to the dessert.
This is down to not leaving it to chill properly before pouring the sweet cream into the lemons. As this is a TikTok lemon posset recipe, there are plenty of people who experienced this issue. But your posset should come out perfectly if you allow enough time for resting and chilling.
If you’ve divided the cream mixture between the lemons and you have some over, you can put it in serving cups, dessert glasses or ramekins and serve it that way instead. Don’t forget a fresh mint, sprig of lemon zest or berry topping for a garnish!
The difference between panna cotta and posset is that panna cotta uses gelatin to help it set, and a posset uses the acid in the citrus to help it set.
Brûlée Lemon Posset Dessert Recipe
Lemon Posset Brûlée
- 4 lemons
- 6 Tablespoons lemon juice from lemons above
- 2 Cups heavy whipping cream double cream
- 1 Cup granulated sugar additional if serving as brulee
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract optional
- Slice the lemons in half lengthwise.
- Juice the lemons and discard seeds. Take 6 Tablespoons of the lemon juice and place into a small bowl, set aside. Discard or save the remaining lemon juice for another recipe.
- Using a metal spoon clean out the fruit pulp from the halved lemons.
- Use a cupcake tin or small ramekins as a way to stabilize the lemon halves, place each of the lemon halves cut side up into one of the ramekins or cupcake spaces. Set aside.
- In a small sauce pot combine the cream and sugar. Heat mixture over medium high heat, stirring slowly and continuously. Once the mixture comes to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer for 2 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Add the 6 Tablespoons of lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of vanilla to the cream mixture and stir slowly. Let this mixture sit to cool for at least 15 minutes.
- After letting the mixture sit, give one last gentle stir then pour it into the halved lemons, filling each lemon almost to the very top. If you have additional posset after filling the lemon halves, pour leftovers into ramekins.
- Let the posset cool completely, then cover and place the lemon posset into the fridge and let chill for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- When ready to serve, you can choose to serve with your favorite garnish such as lemon slices, mint leaves, or whipped cream, or you may choose to brûlée the top.
- To brûlée the lemons, sprinkle about 1 to 2 teaspoons of granulated sugar on the top of each posset. Use a kitchen torch to torch the top of the sugar until it has melted, creating a glass-like surface with a golden brown color. Put the brûlée posset back into the fridge for about 10 to 15 minutes to ensure it is set.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.
This lemon posset dessert with optional brûlée topping is tangy, sweet and creamy all at once. You can make this viral Tik Tok recipe in advance, so it’s great for any occasion. Similar to panna cotta because of its rich creaminess, this dessert is one of the best ways to show off the amazing flavour of fresh lemons. It’s a dessert served in a lemon and always a family favourite.
Other Recipes to Try
Bella Bucchiotti is a storyteller, food lover, dog mom and adventure seeker living on the Pacific coast. She shares her passion for food, dogs, fitness, adventures, travel and philanthropy, in hopes of encouraging followers to run the extra mile, try new recipes, visit unfamiliar places and stand for a cause. Bella lives with Type 1 Diabetes and Celiac Disease.