If you are anything like me, thennnn you can’t have gluten! Just kidding – eh, kind of. But if you are like me in different ways like LOVING yummy, hearty meals, then you will absolutely adore my gluten free cauliflower carbonara!
If you want to broaden your cooking horizons while still in quarantine (or even after!) with a delicious home cooked meal, then you will not be disappointed in this gluten free cauliflower carbonara. Not to mention, we are replacing the traditional carbonara sauce with a cauliflower version. Which makes this an amazingly awesome dish for those of you that like to sneak your veggies to the family! You won’t even know – I promise! So how do you make this incredible gluten free cauliflower carbonara dish that I can’t stop gushing over? Well, come find out!
Right off the bat, let me explain what a traditional carbonara meal is like. It is traditionally a pasta dish where you add eggs, cheese, pork, and lots of pepper. Hey, gotta keep it peppy! It also typically has an alfredo-like sauce with it, but usually is not swimming in it like a normal alfredo dish would. Carbonara is a favourite of mine!
My version is for those of you that can’t have gluten or on the diet to cut it out. Substituting the spaghetti noodles for gluten free noodles is an easy switch. There are numerous good gluten free pastas available now. My current favorties are this Banza chickpea spaghetti or this Chickapea chickpea lentil spaghetti. Don’t forget the gluten free flour!
If you are a new celiac, you should check out my post with tips for those newly diagnosed with celiac disease.
Easy Dairy Free or Vegan Options
This version can easily be adapted for those of you that can’t have dairy or limiting it. Plus it also doesn’t have eggs, which is another allergy of mine! I know…the struggle. If you want to make this dairy free, you can omit the parmesan or substitute vegan parmesan (sometimes hard to find or expensive). For a vegan version, in addition to the dairy free option above, I would suggest substituting roasted mushrooms, peas or red peppers instead of the bacon.
Did I forget to mention my insanely delicious, I-need-to-lick-the-spoon-now, veggie-packed sauce that goes along with it?! I probably forgot because I’m sitting here just daydreaming of it! It is a creamy and dreamy sauce that contains cauliflower, garlic, milk, and of course – CHEESE! The pureed cauliflower makes a delicious and creamy low-calorie sauce for pasta. You can totally toss this sauce on top of any pasta dish or pizza crust for a healthy (but even more delicious!) alternative to store bought ones!
This gluten free cauliflower carbonara gives you plenty of good carbs and vitamins you always get from vegetables AND keeps you fuller longer without feeling like there is a brick sitting in your tummy! Win-win, right?
Cauliflower Carbonara Recipe
Here is how to make my heavenly gluten free cauliflower carbonara – I hope you enjoy as much as I am! *I say as I’m sprinting to the kitchen to make some right this second!!*
Gluten Free Cauliflower Carbonara
- 1 Head cauliflower cut into chucks
- 5 Cloves garlic
- 3 Cups almond milk
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons salt
- 1 Teaspoon pepper
- 3 Tablespoons flour gluten free
- 3/4 Cup parmesan vegan freshly grated
- 8 oz spaghetti gluten free
- 3 Cups cauliflower chunked
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 Cloves garlic minced
- 4 slices bacon chopped
- 1 Pinch Paprika
- 1 Tbsp Parmesan
- 1 Sprig Parsley
- Steam the cauliflower florets and the whole garlic cloves.
- Once they are soft, add the cauliflower and garlic to a blender.
- Add almond milk and Parmesan (vegan works fine) to the blender and purée until smooth to make the sauce.
- Transfer the sauce mixture to a large skillet.
- Heat mixture on medium high and add the gluten free flour, salt and pepper.
- Whisk until mixture is thickened.
- Preheat oven to 450F. Lightly oil a baking sheet and place the cauliflower chunks onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Add the remaining olive oil and the minced garlic.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes, or golden brown.
- Place the chopped bacon in a skillet.
- Cook until crispy.
- Place bacon pieces on paper towel to remove excess grease.
- Cook your favourite gluten free pasta per the instructions. Drain and place in a serving bowl.
- Place the cauliflower carbonara sauce on top of the pasta.
- Add the roasted cauliflower and toss lightly.
- Top with the bacon.
- Optional: Garnish with additional Parmesan cheese, chopped parsley and a sprinkle of paprika if desired.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.
If you aren’t the garlic fan that I am…just reduce the amount of garlic used.
All of my gluten free recipes can be found HERE. Enjoy!
Let me know if you try this out! It is one of my dad’s favourite meals.