Wondering what to make for dinner? This simple 30 minute meal could be on your table tonight. Consider this easy Instant Pot vegetable soup. It’s bursting with healthy fresh and frozen vegetables and flavoured with tasty ingredients such as paprika, garlic and Worcestershire sauce. Making soup in an Instant Pot or pressure cooker is tasty vegetarian or vegan soup recipe.
Served with crusty bread, you’ll find this easy Instant Pot vegetable soup full of wonderful flavours. It’s a vegetarian or vegan soup recipe with fresh and frozen vegetables. Making soup in Instant Pot or pressure cooker means it only takes half an hour.
Fresh and Frozen Vegetables for the Soup
You can use any veggies you like. I used onion, celery, potato and sweet potato for the fresh ones and then also added some frozen mixed vegetables as well.
White or red potatoes work well here and I like adding sweet potatoes too for their sweetness. Talking of sweetness you can either use Vidalia onions or another sweet variety, or else go with yellow, red or white onions.
Swap the frozen mixed vegetables for more fresh ones if you want. Mushrooms, corn, cabbage, zucchini, and eggplant are all viable alternatives for this 30 minute meal. Drained, canned vegetables would work too or you could sub individual frozen vegetables in place of mixed vegetables.
Other Soup Ingredients
Garlic, Italian seasoning, paprika, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, broth, and canned tomatoes all go into the mix. Try using fire-roasted tomatoes for a deeper flavour.
Then you also need a bay leaf. Instead of the Italian seasoning you could use basil, oregano, thyme, marjoram, and rosemary, which feature in many Italian seasoning blends. Parsley makes a nice garnish.
This can be a vegetarian or vegan soup recipe if you omit the classic Worcestershire sauce, since it contains anchovies. However, there are some vegan-friendly Worcestershire sauces available so go ahead and try one of those if you like.
How to Make It
Once you know how straightforward making soup in Instant Pot or pressure cooker is, you’ll want to make it often. So how exactly do you make this 30 minute meal?
First sauté the onion and celery in oil in your Instant Pot (you can use water or broth if don’t want to use oil) then add garlic, Worcestershire sauce, and the seasonings. Throw in some vinegar to deglaze the pot then you can add broth, water and the fresh and frozen vegetables.
By this point your easy Instant Pot vegetable soup will smell very tempting! Add a bay leaf then pressure cook the soup in your Instant Pot. Throw out the bay leaf and serve the soup hot, garnished with parsley if liked.
How to Store Easy Instant Pot Vegetable Soup
Got leftovers? You can refrigerate them for a few days or freeze them for several months then thaw overnight. Reheat leftovers in a pot on the stove or in the microwave, as you prefer.
Because it’s so easy making soup in Instant Pot or pressure cooker you might want to double the recipe and freeze individual portions for future quick lunches or dinners. I also love making this chicken pot pie soup.
Can You Puree this Soup?
You do have a lot of options with this easy Instant Pot vegetable soup. Whether you want a vegetarian or vegan soup recipe or a choice between fresh and frozen vegetables, you can make it your own.
You might also be wondering whether it’s possible to make this a smooth soup rather than a chunky one. The answer to that is yes! I recommend using an immersion blender. Although a food processor is another option, immersion blenders tend to give a better result since you’re working with a lot of liquid and don’t want to miss any chunks.
If you want to puree the soup in a blender, bear in mind hot soup can expand in there, blowing the lid off and making a big mess of your kitchen! You can still puree it using a blender but don’t fill the blender more than a third full and puree the soup in batches. Also, remove the center cap from the blender lid so steam can escape.
I’ve added this easy Instant Pot vegetable soup to my regular meal rotation and am having fun experimenting with it. I love the fact you can easily make it a vegetarian or vegan soup recipe and also it’s a quick 30 minute meal. If you are looking for a side dish, try a tuna sandwich or a canned chicken salad sandwich.
Easy Instant Pot Vegetable Soup Recipe
Easy Instant Pot Vegetable Soup
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 sweet onion
- 3 Stalks celery chopped
- 6 Cloves garlic minced
- 1 Teaspoon salt kosher
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 Teaspoon paprika
- 2 Teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 4 Cups vegetable broth low-sodium
- 2 Cups water
- 15 Ounces diced tomatoes petite
- 3 russet potatoes medium, chopped, diced
- 1 sweet potato diced
- 2 Cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 bay leaf
- parsley Italian flat leaf
- On your instant pot, depress the ‘sauté’ button.
- When the ‘hot’ indicator light has illuminated, add 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil. Next add in 1 cup of sweet onion, and 1 cup of diced celery. Sauté for 2-3 minutes. Once the onions have become fragrant and translucent, add 6 cloves of minced garlic and sauté for an additional 30 seconds.
- Once the sweet onions and garlic are fragrant, add 1 teaspoon kosher salt, ½ teaspoon black pepper, 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning, 1 teaspoon paprika, and 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce. Sauté the ingredients together for an additional 30 seconds. Then to deglaze the pot, use 1 tablespoon of white wine vinegar. Ensure all the small bits are cleaned from the sides of the Instant Pot.
- Once deglazed, add 4 cups of low-sodium vegetable broth, 2 cups of purified water, (1) 15 ounce can of diced tomatoes, 4 cups of diced russet potatoes, 1 ½ cups of diced sweet potatoes, and 2 cups of frozen mixed vegetables. Stir with a wooden spoon to combine all the ingredients, ensuring nothing is sticking to the sides of the pot.
- Next, place 1 bay leaf on the top surface of the soup. Close the lid and ensure the valve is in the "sealing’’ position on the Instant Pot.
- Now you are ready to set your Instant Pot to ‘pressure cook’ and set the time for 5 minutes. Allow the Instant Pot to naturally release for 10 minutes. After 10minutes of natural release, move the valve to the “venting position” to release the remaining pressure.
- Once the pressure has been fully released, open the lid and carefully remove and discard the bay leaf from the top of the soup. Be careful, the soup is very hot! Press the ‘cancel’ button and ensure the Instant Pot is set to ‘off’.
- Garnish with Italian flat-leaf parsley.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.
Making soup in Instant Pot or pressure cooker is easy as well as fast and the soup freezes beautifully too. Served with crusty bread, I’m sure this is going to become your new Instant Pot soup go-to recipe! Instant Pot vegetable soup with frozen vegetables is a real time saver on busy nights.
Other Recipes You Might Like
Bella Bucchiotti of xoxoBella is a storyteller, food lover, dog mom and adventure seeker living on the Pacific coast. She shares her passion for recipes, dogs, sustainability, adventures, travel and philanthropy, in hopes of encouraging followers to run the extra mile, try new recipes, visit unfamiliar places and stand for a cause. Bella lives with Type 1 Diabetes and Celiac Disease.
Bella Bucchiotti is a freelance food, travel, and lifestyle writer for MSN and the Associated Press Wire.