Funfetti and buttercream ice cream cone cupcakes are fun and cute. They’re perfect for any kind of gathering or party and they’re simple to make as well. So avoid a trip to the bakery and instead rustle up your own adorable little cupcakes in ice cream cones. These homemade cake cones are easy to make using funfetti cake mix. These are the perfect cupcakes for birthday parties!
Cupcakes for birthday parties don’t get much cuter than this ice cream cone dessert. Funfetti cake pairs with vanilla and chocolate buttercream and then this dessert is finished off with colourful sprinkles on top.
Ingredients in this Ice Cream Cone Dessert
The main ingredients in homemade cake cones are the flat bottom cones and funfetti flavour box cake mix. Choose flat bottomed cones so they will stay up. As for the cake mix, use any brand you prefer and don’t forget to also have the oil, eggs and so on that you need to prepare the cake.
Butter, powdered sugar, heavy cream, vanilla, and salt combine for the buttercream. In addition you will need cocoa powder and some gel food colouring, plus sprinkles for the garnish. The sprinkles are optional but they do complete the funfetti and buttercream ice cream cone cupcakes beautifully.
Make the funfetti cake mix following the directions on the package. Place flat bottomed ice cream cones upright in the wells of a cupcake pan or muffin pan. Divide the cupcake batter between the ice cream cones then bake until the cake is done. Let the homemade cake cones cool completely.
The next step in this cupcake cones recipe is making the buttercream. To do this, cream the butter until it’s light. The easiest way to do this is using an electric mixer. Gradually add in the cream and powdered sugar and keep mixing. You can add more cream if it’s too thick or powdered sugar if it’s too thin. Now add in the vanilla and salt.
It’s up to you whether to make different frosting colours. If you want to have more than one frosting for your cupcakes in ice cream cones then separate the buttercream into separate bowls.
You can add cocoa powder to make chocolate frosting or any colour of gel food colouring you like. It’s also possible to use liquid food colouring for these cupcakes for birthday parties. With the gel variety you need less to achieve the same intensity of colour. I also find gel food colouring gives a brighter, more vivid result. Either pipe the frosting using a disposable piping bag or spread it on with a knife. I like to pipe the frosting so that it looks like soft serve ice cream.
Finally add some rainbow sprinkles on top! You could add a red candy or a maraschino cherry on top, too.
How to Store Homemade Cake Cones
If you’re making these cupcakes for birthday parties you probably won’t have to worry about leftovers! But they should be fine for a few days after making them.
It would be better to keep them uncovered and at room temperature so the cones don’t soften too much. They aren’t suitable for freezing because then the cones would get really soggy!
Possible Tweaks and Variations
Not keen on funfetti cake? You can use any flavour of cake mix to make cupcakes in ice cream cones. You could make vanilla cupcakes or use a red velvet cake mix.
Since funfetti is just vanilla with sprinkles anyway, you could sub vanilla cake mix and then maybe add a few sprinkles yourself for a homemade take on funfetti. Alternatively you can use chocolate cake, spice cake or any other variety you want.
You can add other items to the cake batter too, such as mini marshmallows or chocolate chips, just to add more texture and a different flavour. Chopped nuts would also work or raisins.
Funfetti Cupcake Cones FAQs
Don’t add more than 3 tablespoons of batter to each cone, else the batter will rise too much, come over the edges of the cones and make them soggy!
If you’re making cupcakes for birthday parties you will probably keep them in plastic containers. However this ice cream cone dessert is a bit different because it’s not really something you can stack or arrange in layers like cupcakes.
Cut holes into a box to transport this ice cream cone dessert or else use egg cartons. Oh, and drive carefully! I’m not sure how well these would survive a sudden swerve!
To keep cupcake cones fresh, store them in an airtight container. Room temperature should be fine unless it is warm, in which case store in the refrigerator. A tall cake carrier usually works well for these.
Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes Recipe
Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes
- 1 cake mix funfetti, make as directed on box – usually adding eggs, water and oil
- 24 ice cream cones flat bottoms
Vanilla Buttercream Recipe:
- 1 Cup unsalted butter softened to room temp
- 3-4 Cups powdered sugar
- 3-4 Tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 Dash salt
- ½ Cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 Tablespoons vanilla extract
- gel food coloring a few drops
- Prepare cake mix according to the package.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Using a 24 holder mini muffin pan or cupcake pan, place your cones in each tin.
- Place about 3 Tablespoons of cake batter into each of the cones, just below the inside rim. You can spoon the batter in or use a small ice cream scoop to be more accurate. Do not overfill. If you do, the batter will spill over while cooking and make the rims of the cones soggy. Each cone may bake up a little differently in shape but they will look great as soon as you frost them!
- Bake them at 350 degrees F for 23 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick releases clean.
- Allow them to cool completely.
- While the ice cream cone cupcakes are cooling, you can make the buttercream.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream butter on low speed until pale and creamy.
- Slowly add in 3 cups of confectioners’ sugar and 3 tbsp heavy cream a little at a time, alternating between each, while mixing on low over the course of about 3 minutes.
- If your frosting needs a more stiff consistency, add remaining sugar. If your frosting needs to be thinned out, add the remaining cream.
- Add vanilla and salt.
- Beat on medium-high for about 2 to 3 minutes until the frosting is light and fluffy.
- If you want to make multiple colors of frosting, just separate your buttercream into individual bowls and use food coloring to make whatever color your heart desires! If you want to make chocolate buttercream, add ½ cup of unsweetened cocoa powder and 2 tablespoons of vanilla extract and fold in with a spatula until incorporated.
- You can pipe the frosting into a swirl (using a Wilton 2D tip and piping bag) OR you can quickly just spread your frosting on top of each cupcake with a knife – kiddos will eat them either way!
- Toss some sprinkles on top for a fun garnish.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.
These cupcake ice cream cones are sure to be the most popular dessert at any party! The combination of funfetti cake mix, ice cream cones and buttercream ensures everyone will want one of these fun-sized treats. Everyone will be requesting an ice cream cone cupcake for their birthday party! It is such a cute idea.
So darn cute!
When I was a kid, we used to make these at my friends house all the time. It was one of my favorite treats!
Ohhh yummy yummy! What a fun twist on a classic dessert. These look so easy to make and oh so pretty, LOVE all the photos!
These look delicious! I will have to make them with my kids.
I love doing cupcakes in ice cream cones! No need for wrappers!