Strawberries are first fruit to ripen each spring and are considered one of the most loved berries. Strawberry Shortcake is the quintessential June dessert and one of my favorites. The freshest berries make for the best shortcake, so check out my tips below on selecting berries.
Strawberry Shortcake – The Quintessential June Dessert
This is the perfect recipe for summer and it is so easy to make. It calls for less then 12 ingredients, all of which I am sure you have on hard! I originally made this recipe for Carrie Colbert’s blog but I thought I would add it on here, too.
You can make the cake portion of this recipe a couple days before hand and then put everything together just before eating. As spring and summer are the perfect time for picnics, I made these in individual jars to easy picnicking.
Don’t rinse cut strawberries under water until you’re ready to eat them—it speeds up spoiling.
Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
Perfect Summer Strawberry Shortcake
- 2 Cups flour
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/2 Tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 Tsp. baking powder
- 12 Tbsp. butter
- 1 1/2 Cups sugar
- 4 Eggs
- 1 Cup sour cream
- 3 Cups strawberries cut up
- 1 1/2 Cup sugar
- 1/2 Lemon juiced
- 3 Tbsp. Whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking soda and baking powder until mixed and set aside.
- In the bowl of a mixer combine butter and sugar. Mix until fluffy.
- Mix in the eggs one at a time. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture and mix just until combined.
- Add in ½ of the sour cream and mix just until combined. Repeat with flour and sour cream once more then end by mixing in last 1/3 of the flour mixture and mixing just until combined.
- Pour batter into the prepared baking sheet and spread evenly. Bake about 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, cool completely and then cut into rounds using a cup or cookie cutter.
- In a bowl, mix together the strawberries and sugar.
- Add the lemon juice, mix well and let sit for about 20 minutes.
- Make the whipping cream.
- Layer the cake rounds and strawberries into cups or jars. Layer until full to top and then top with whipped cream.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.
Maan Farms Strawberries
I have always been a huge fan of strawberries and would love to try growing them at home one day. Fresh grown berries are so sweet and tasty! Luckily there are local farms where you can pick your own or purchase fresh picked berries. My local favorite is Maan Farms which I visit year round for various berries and all the fall fun. Maan Farms (and Farmer Amir) practice sustainable and ethical farming practices, which are safe for us and the environment. At Maan Farms they limit the use of any pesticides and chemicals. In fact, they spray less than organic farmers. They even use bugs, like tiny spiders as an alternative to pesticides.
Stop and smell the strawberries! Considered members of the rose family, they give off a sweet fragrance as they grow.
Did you know that there are 200 seeds on an average strawberry.
Thanks for stopping by! Let me know if you try out this tasty summer treat. You should check out my Strawberry Lemonade Bar recipes, which are always a seasonal hit.