These apple cider grilled chicken skewers pair the sweetness of cider with the appeal of chicken. The Gouda cheese sauce finishes it off beautifully. Perfectly cooked cider chicken with creamy Gouda is a wonderful recipe for the Fall. So consider these cider grilled chicken skewers. They are simple to make and go with all kinds of side dishes.
The chicken is flavoured not only with apple cider but also sugar, vinegar, garlic, onion, thyme, ginger, red pepper flakes, and cinnamon. So you can expect a well-rounded and impressive flavour in every bite. The apple cider chicken marinade is incredible.
How to Make a Gouda Cheese Sauce
The sauce is one of the best things about this apple cider grilled chicken skewers recipe. As well as Gouda cheese, you will need milk, cream, vinegar, Velveeta, parmesan, and some spices.
Simply combine all the ingredients in a pan and stir well. When the sauce is well combined and hot, it’s ready. The Velveeta gives the Gouda cheese sauce a silky texture and also adds a contrasting flavour to the mix.
What Kind of Cider to Use
Either flat apple cider or the sparkling kind would be fine in these apple cider grilled chicken skewers. Any type of cider or brand is fine. If you can’t find cider where you are, then apple juice will be juice as good. For a twist you could try using Perry (pear cider) instead of the apple cider or juice.
How to Marinate the Chicken
One of the most important steps in this cider chicken recipe is the marinating. The marinade for apple cider chicken marinade includes quite a few ingredients. However they’re all things you probably already have in the pantry.
You can marinate these apple cider grilled chicken skewers for 24 hours if you have time. Give the cider chicken at least 4 hours of marinating time though. You can keep some to brush over the chicken while it’s on the grill.
Thanks to the amazing marinade these cider grilled chicken skewers are soooo full of flavour! The creamy Gouda cheese sauce finishes them off perfectly too.
If you like, you could cut and marinate a few apple slices (wedges or rings) as well. Since apple cider features heavily in the recipe apple chunks would certainly complement the dish perfectly. You can just add the apple pieces to the apple cider chicken marinade.
A Closer Look at Gouda Cheese
Cheese always makes a great sauce but there are different cheeses to suit different recipes. These cider grilled chicken skewers are gorgeous paired with creamy Gouda. This type of cheese originated in Gouda, The Netherlands. It’s one of the best-loved cheeses in the world and is very mild, creamy and sweet. This cheese dates back nearly 1000 years.
Today there are about 300 Dutch farmers still making this cheese by hand. Most Gouda production is industrial now though. The town of Gouda isn’t where this cheese was made but where it was traded, in the town square.
If you can’t get creamy Gouda cheese where you are, there are alternatives. These apple cider grilled chicken skewers would also suit a Monterey Jack, Edam, Gruyere, mild Cheddar, or Havarti cheese. Those cheeses aren’t the same as Gouda but they are pretty similar and would work in this cider chicken dish.
What to Serve with Apple Cider Grilled Chicken Skewers
This flavourful recipe suits any side dish you want to prepare. I would recommend some steamed green vegetables. Another idea is to grill some asparagus spears. A simple salad would also go well here.
Sometimes I like to have a baked potato with these cider grilled chicken skewers. Since the apple cider chicken marinade is already sweet, I wouldn’t pair it with a sweet potato.
I used chicken breasts in this recipe. You might like to try boneless, skinless chicken thighs in their place. The flavour and texture will be very similar since the marinade is so flavourful. Another idea is to use pork instead of chicken. Pork has a beautiful affinity with apples so the flavours would be amazing if you used pork instead.
You can use either wooden or metal skewers for this recipe. If you’re using wooden skewers, soak them in cold water for at least half an hour before threading the chicken on there. If you skip this step, the skewers might ignite on the grill. Obviously, you don’t need to pre-soak the metal kind.
If you like this cider grilled chicken, you might also like Tasty Apple Cider Mojito – Autumn Cocktail, Thai Spicy Basil Chicken Skewers with Cashew Sauce or Toffee Apple Cider Fireball Hot Toddy.
Apple Cider Grilled Chicken Skewers with Gouda Cheese Sauce Recipe
Apple Cider Grilled Chicken Skewers with Gouda Cheese Sauce
- 4 chicken breasts boneless skinless, cut into 1.5” cubes
- 12 Ounces apple cider flat or bubbly
- 3 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 Teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon thyme dried
- 1/4 Teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 Teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt plus additional for seasoning meat
- 1/4 Teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 Teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 Cup water cold
Gouda cheese sauce
- 3/4 Cup milk
- 1/4 Cup cream
- 1/2 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 Ounces Velveeta cheese
- 12 Ounces Gouda cheese shredded
- 1/4 Cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 Teaspoon cayenne
- 1/8 Teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 Teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 Teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon onion powder
- In a small bowl mix together the cornstarch and cold water until combined
- In a small saucepan, mix together all the marinade ingredients (except for the chicken), including the cornstarch slurry you made in step one.
- Heat the mixture on medium high heat until it has begun to thicken.
- Remove the marinade from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Once the marinade has cooled, pour 1 cup of the marinade into a container and set aside, you will be using this mixture to glaze the chicken as it cooks on the grill.
- The remaining marinade should be poured over the chicken i n a container with a lid, mix thoroughly to coat the chicken.
- Cover the chicken and let sit in the fridge for at least 4 hours (up to 24 hours)
- When it is time to cook the chicken, take the marinated chicken out of the fridge and put the pieces onto grill skewers.
- Lightly season both sides of the skewers with salt.
- Preheat your grill on high.
- Be sure to oil the grill grates then place the chicken skewers on the grill for several minutes on each side. Every time you turn the skewers brush them generously with the reserved marinade.
- Continue to flip and brush the skewers every few minutes. When your chicken has finished cooking (165 degrees F) remove from the grill and let rest f or 5 to 10 minutes.
- Serve with Gouda cheese sauce
Gouda Cheese Sauce
- In a small saucepan, heat the milk, cream, seasonings and butter until hot.
- Turn the heat to low and add in the Velveeta, whisk together until the Velveeta has melted.
- Slowly add in the Gouda and Parmesan cheeses.
- Add the apple cider vinegar and whisk until everything has melted and is combined.
- Remove from the heat, and serve immediately.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.
You are going to love how tasty these apple cider grilled chicken skewers taste. They’re a fall favourite. If you are looking for another chicken recipe, you might also like these Italian Crespelle Chicken Alfredo Crepes.