What’s for dinner tonight? If you’re still deciding, what about this wonderful BBQ chicken flatbread! This easy BBQ chicken pizza can be made in under 30 minutes, so it’s great for a busy weeknight supper. You can buy a flatbread base and then all you need to do is add the toppings and cook it. Served as it is or with a green salad or other side dish, this is really filling. It is so easy to make flatbread pizza at home! You should definitely try out this recipe if you want to make a barbecue chicken flatbread like Panera.
How to Make Flatbread Pizza at Home
It’s easy to make barbecue chicken flatbread like Panera yourself at home. You don’t need a lot of ingredients either. As well as the flatbread base, you need chicken, bacon, cheese, BBQ sauce, and veggies. Some green onion and cilantro make a nice garnish. While you’re cooking the bacon and chicken, you can prepare the vegetables.
Top the flatbread with BBQ sauce, cheese and chicken, followed with bacon, more cheese and veggies. And that’s how easy it is to make flatbread pizza at home! Your easy BBQ chicken pizza is then ready to bake.
You will need to get the oven nice and hot to make BBQ chicken flatbread. Does your oven reach 500 degrees F? If not, don’t worry, get it as hot as it will go, whether that’s 450 or 475 degrees F. That will also result in barbecue chicken flatbread like Panera but might take a few minutes longer. Another option is to cook it on the grill – not too close to the flame though else the bottom will burn.
Add green onions and cilantro to the BBQ chicken flatbread when it’s cooked as well as an extra drizzle of sauce. For a meal that can be made in under 30 minutes, this BBQ chicken flatbread is impressive.
Easy BBQ Chicken Pizza Variations
You can use mozzarella and provolone or try some sharp cheddar or a Mexican blend. Any kind of cheese is good so pick your favourite. Looking for some added heat? Sliced jalapenos or pepperoncini would be good.
Other ingredients which would be good include pineapple chunks (well drained) or sliced red bell peppers. You could use turkey instead of chicken, or swap the bacon for ham. When you make flatbread pizza at home you can take your pick of ingredients. Either make this barbecue chicken flatbread like Panera or tweak it to pair perfectly with your palate.
Where to Find Flatbread Crust
For an easy dish that can be made in under 30 minutes you might like to use a readymade crust. Other options would be using a flatbread crust mix or even making it from scratch if you have more time or want to make your own. Kinnikinnick flatbread crusts are always good. They are ‘heat ‘n serve’ so you can make this easy BBQ chicken pizza in record time.
What’s the Difference Between Flatbread and Pizza?
Sometimes it’s called flatbread, sometimes pizza and other times flatbread pizza! So what’s the difference between both these terms anyway? The main difference is the dough. Pizza dough has yeast and a pizza is typically topped with tomato sauce and cheese.
Flatbread has a thinner crust and the sauce isn’t usually tomato. Most pizzas have more toppings than flatbreads or are at least more generously topped. Some people describe flatbread as being un-yeasted while others use the term for any rectangular, thin crust pizza.
Flatbreads are typically smaller as well as thinner. That means a whole flatbread can serve one (or two with side dishes) while a whole pizza usually won’t. There are exceptions of course. I’m very fond of pizza and can eat a whole small(ish) one! Honestly though, flatbread and pizza are very similar.
Flatbread Shortcuts Worth Knowing
As well as using a prepared flatbread crust, there are some other shortcuts you can take. This can be made in under 30 minutes if you use leftover chicken and bacon to make it. It’s a great way to use up leftover chicken actually! Using shredded cheese instead of grating your own also saves time. The same applies to the vegetables which can be bought shredded or chopped.
How to Serve BBQ Chicken Flatbread
Since it’s so easy to make flatbread pizza at home, you will want to make it often. But how should you serve this easy BBQ chicken pizza? I like to have it with a simple salad on the side. The flatbread is rich and spicy so a basic green salad with lemon vinaigrette would be great. Heartier options include sautéed Brussels sprouts or garlic bread.
If you like this BBQ chicken flatbread recipe, you might also like Quick & Easy Vegan Pesto, Slow Cooker Dairy Free Butter Chicken with Cauliflower Rice or Easy Beef and Potato Bake – One Pot Meal.
BBQ Chicken Flatbread Pizza Recipe
Savoury Bacon, Onion and BBQ Chicken Flatbread Pizzas
- 1 flatbread
- 1 chicken breast
- 6 Oz bacon
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 Bag mozzarella shredded or a shredded mozzarella provolone mix
- 1/2 Cup BBQ sauce
- cilantro Fresh
- Green onions
- Black Pepper
- Season the chicken breast thoroughly with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Cut bacon into 1 inch pieces and fry i n a pan until cooked through.
- Remove the cooked bacon from the pan and drain most of the grease from the pan, reserving a bit in the pan to cook the chicken with.
- Using the same pan with the reserved bacon grease, cook chicken breast until the center reaches 165 degrees.
- Set the chicken aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
- Slice the red onion thinly, and set aside.
- Using a peeler, peel your carrot, then continue to create thin slices of the carrot using your peeler.
- Chop up 2 to 3 green onions, and remove the l eaves from a few sprigs of cilantro.
- When the chicken i s cool enough to handle, pull i t apart into chunks, then mix i n a bowl with a couple spoonfuls of your BBQ sauce.
- Take your flatbread out and place on a cutting board or pizza peel. Brush the top of the flatbread with BBQ sauce.
- Sprinkle a light layer of cheese over the sauce, then cover thickly with the BBQ chicken pieces.
- Cover the chicken with a layer of the cooked bacon, then a thick layer of cheese.
- Add the onions and the carrots to the top of the pizza.
- Carefully transfer your flatbread directly to a rack in the center of your preheated oven
- Cook for approx 6 to 7 minutes, check on pizza frequently – pizza may need more or less time based on your oven.
- When the flatbread i s ready very carefully remove from the oven and place onto a cutting board.
- Top the flatbread with green onions, cilantro, fresh black pepper, and a drizzle of BBQ sauce.
*For an extra kick add pickled jalapeño peppers or pepperoncini.
*Any cheese will work great with this flatbread, a mozzarella/provolone mix is traditional however sharp cheddar i s delicious, and pepper jack will give it a little extra heat!
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.
Leftover flatbread is nice cold (or warmed up in a covered skillet over a low heat) the following day. It will keep for two or three days in the refrigerator.
Let me know if you try out this BBQ chicken flatbread recipe. It is so easy to make flatbread pizza at home, and it can be made in under 30 minutes! This easy BBQ flatbread chicken pizza is always a big hit for dinner. You should definitely try out this recipe if you want to make a barbecue chicken flatbread like Panera. Enjoy!
If you are looking for another quick pizza recipe, you might like this Instant Pot BBQ Chicken French Bread Pizza.