Are you ready for something that will get you excited for the mornings?! These gluten free vegan morning glory muffins will make your morning 100 times better! And it will get your brain all started up with that tongue twister of a name. You’re welcome! These hearty muffins are packed with healthful ingredients like fresh fruit and vegetables, applesauce, flax, maple syrup, and rolled oats.
Filled with healthy ingredients like flax seeds, rolled oats, apples, banana, carrots, pecans, and maple syrup, these flavourful muffins taste like a most cake that is perfect for starting your day.
Vegan and Gluten Free Muffins
If there is one thing to know about me, it’s that I love baked goods. When I became gluten free, I had to start getting creative about the ingredients I was putting in my treats. I started playing with ideas and recipes to come up with gluten free recipes that not only I can enjoy, but others as well! And since I also have Type 1 diabetes, I try to make sure my recipes are low-carb and low sugar. Soooo what is a gal to do with these kinds of options? Well, I made lemonade with these lemons and created this DELISH recipe
These tasty muffins are filled with heart healthy ingredients like flax seeds which are full of omega-3 fatty acids plus fruits and veggies which are full of fiber. Carrots are a high source of antioxidants which help prevent things like heart disease.
Apples have antioxidants, flavonoids, and fiber. With all of those superfoods inside these muffins, you will be feeling so good in the morning and ready to make this YOUR day. They are also great for a snack and I am partial to having mine with tea.
Morning Glory Muffins Ingredients
I know at first glance the list of ingredients in this muffin recipe below looks overwhelming, but most of them are regular kitchen staple ingredients. I like to bake two batches at a time and freeze one for the following week.
These easy muffins are a totally glorious way to start any day. You will love that they combine the great taste and texture of carrots with the wonderful flavors of apple, rolled oats and pecans.
These muffins have amazingly fresh ingredients incorporated and I’m sure they will make your morning just that – amazing! And you know starting your day with a good morning can lead to a nothing but positivity!
If you’re looking for a hearty, and delicious nutrient dense muffin, these morning glory muffins are the ones for you! They’re packed with fresh fruit and vegetable ingredients. You will find that each bite has an abundance of texture and they are a great way to start your day.
You will love that these muffins are veggie-loaded and perfect for a mid day snack or grab-and-go breakfast. These muffins are based on the original recipe from Nantucket but made my way. The original recipe for morning glory muffins was developed in 1978 by Pam McKinstry, the owner of the “Morning Glory Cafe” in Nantucket. This original recipe was published in Gourmet magazine in 1981 and it was chosen as one of the magazine’s 25 best recipes from the past 50 years in 1991. There is a lot to love about this recipe!
Morning Glory Muffins Recipe
Gluten Free Morning Glory Muffins
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons flaxseed ground
- 4 Tablespoons water
- 1/3 Cup banana ripe, mashed, approximately 1 banana
- 1/4 Cup olive oil
- 1/4 Cup maple syrup
- 1/2 Cup apple sauce unsweetened, or grated apple
- 1/2 Cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon baking soda
- 1 Teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 Cup almond milk unsweetened, or coconut or soy milk
- 1 Cup carrot packed, grated, approximately 2 or 3 carrots
- 2/3 Cup rolled oats gluten free
- 1/2 Cup almond flour
- 1 1/4 Cup gluten free flour 1 to 1, I used Bob's Red Mill
- 1/2 Cup pecans raw, crushed
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line a cupcake tin with liners. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together ground flax seed and water. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- While waiting, grate carrot and mash banana.
- To the flax seed mixture, add olive oil, maple syrup, and mashed banana. Whisk to combine.
- Add brown sugar, applesauce, baking soda, and cinnamon. Whisk.
- Stir in almond milk and carrot.
- Add almond flour, 1 to 1 flour, and gluten free oats. Stir with a spatula or wooden spoon until combined.
- Using a spoon, fill cupcake liners to the top.
- Sprinkle crushed pecans evenly onto each muffin.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean in centre. (gluten free flour takes a little longer to cook than regular flour).
- Remove from pan and place on cooling rack to cool completely.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.
These gluten free and vegan carrot banana apple veggie muffins are a recipe that you will want to make again and again. These muffins are great for making ahead and freezing for busy days or snacks. You’ll love having these tasty breakfast muffins on hand!
Let me know if you all try these gluten free morning glory muffins! Do you have any fave recipes for gluten free muffins?