Layered strawberry jello parfait cups make a great treat. You only need six different ingredients to prepare this simple recipe and they are a great make-ahead no bake dessert too. Once you know how to make jello cups you will want to make these all the time. They are a pretty layered parfait and ideal for any occasion when you want a fruity, sweet treat after dinner.
This jello, cool whip and marshmallow fluff layered parfait brings together jello, cream, cookies, fresh strawberries, and the unmistakable taste of marshmallows for a full-flavored dessert. This no-bake dessert is surprisingly simple to prepare.
Layered Strawberry Jello Parfait Cups Ingredients
With only six ingredients, this jello recipe is one of the simplest ways to impress everyone with an after-dinner treat. You are going to need strawberry jello, Cool Whip, marshmallow fluff, sour cream, shortbread cookies, and fresh strawberries.
The ingredients are tweak-able too. You can use any flavour jello, swap the Cool Whip for whipped cream, the strawberries for any other soft fruit, or the shortbread cookies for any other kind of cookie.
How to Make this No-Bake Dessert
First of all you need to make the jello itself, because it takes time to set. Follow the instructions on the package to make the jello.
While it’s cooling down, you can chill some serving glasses in the refrigerator. Serving bowls would also work but I prefer to use glass serving dishes because it’s a layered parfait and those layers look good!
Rest the glasses at an angle of about 45 degrees. You can use taco trays, a loaf pan or anything else that will hold them in that position. Some foil will help to secure the glasses.
Whisk a cup of Cool Whip into a cup of the prepared jello. Chill the mixture for a couple of hours.
Divide the plain jello without Cool Whip between the serving glasses. After two more hours, crush the cookies using a food processor or put them in a Ziploc bag and bash them with the flat side of a meat tenderizer mallet.
Sprinkle most of the crushed cookies on top of the jello. Now divide the jello mixed with Cool Whip over the crumb-topped jello in the glasses. Stand the glasses up straight again if you like since the slanted jello layer will be set by now.
The next step in this jello recipe is to mix the rest of the Cool Whip with the marshmallow fluff and sour cream then divide this mixture between each of the layered strawberry jello parfait cups. Finally add the rest of the cookie crumbs and the sliced strawberries and serve.
Tips for Making Jello, Cool Whip and Marshmallow Fluff Desserts
When learning how to make jello cups, you’ll be glad you discovered how to make them slanted by leaning the cups to one side as the jello sets. Although this is an optional part of these layered strawberry jello parfait cups, they do look extra-special when prepared in this way.
Also remember it’s fine to make any changes you like. The great thing about a jello recipe in layers like this is you can get creative. You can change the strawberry jello for another kind and then add the matching fruit. For example, pair orange jello with some canned mandarin segments or cherry jello with cherry pie filling. You can also mix and match a jello flavour with any other kind of fruit.
How to Make Jello Cups FAQs
When you’re making any recipe using jello or gelatin, including this jello, cool whip and marshmallow fluff dessert, you’re going to have to allow time for it to set.
Now bear in mind it can take hours to set so you might like to start this recipe in the morning if you’re serving it after dinner. Another idea is to make it a day ahead. But if you do this don’t add the cookie crumbs until just before serving else they’ll go a bit soggy. Also don’t add the sliced berries until serving else they might dry out a little.
would be a good addition. You can add a splash to each layered parfait. Consider a little DeKuyper strawberry schnapps liqueur in the plain jello layer to jazz them up a little. It goes without saying that would make this no-bake dessert strictly for the grownups only!
Layered Strawberry Jello Parfait Cup Recipe
Layered Strawberry Jello Parfait Cups
- 1 Package Jello 6 Ounces, strawberry
- 2 Cups Cool Whip divided
- 1 Cup Marshmallow fluff
- ½ Cup sour cream
- 10 cookies shortbread, I used Voortman's
- 4 strawberries sliced, as garnish
- Prepare Jello according to package instructions. As the water is boiling, chill desired serving glasses in the fridge.
- Allow Jello to cool to room temperature.
- Remove glasses from the fridge. Place glasses so they are resting inside or atop something sturdy at a slight angle (45 degrees). For our stemmed cocktail glasses, we found using a loaf pan worked perfectly. The whiskey glasses rested at the perfect angle along taco trays. You can also create this same angle using foil if all else fails! *Use any glassware desired. We used a mix of cocktail glasses and whiskey glasses. This recipe makes 8 ½ cups of jello, and depending on the size of your glassware each glass will hold between 1to 2 cups of jello.
- Remove 1 cup of jello and pour into a glass bowl. Add in 1 cup of cool whip and whisk. Refrigerate for 2 hours. (If separation occurs , whisk well and let set for at least 10 minutes after stirring)
- Meanwhile, very carefully pour the jello into the glasses until it reaches the rim of the glass. Place into the fridge until the jello is set. (2 hours)
- After 2 hours the jello should be set enough to move on to layering. Be gentle as it is still at a fragile stage. Keep the glasses at an angle. Add shortbread cookies to a food processor, (or ziplock bag). Once they reach crumb like texture, scoop 2-3 spoonfuls into each glass over the top of the jello. Gently press down on the crumbs to even the layer. Add more for a thicker layer if desired. *save some for sprinkling on top at the end!*
- Next, scoop the jello mixed with cool whip into the glass over the crumbs. It will have a fluffy, slightly dense but pliable texture. Use a spatula to smooth. At this point, you can stand the glasses up straight as the parfait fully sets. (Chill for at least 2 full hours, but if possible, I recommend overnight)
- When 1 hour remains on chilling time (or 1 hour prior to serving) Prepare the topping. Combine cool Whip, marshmallow fluff, and sour cream in a bowl and whisk well until smooth. Add a dollop onto the top of each parfait.
- When ready to serve, add sliced strawberries and shortbread crumbs on top of the parfait.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.
Not only are layered strawberry jello parfait cups super-easy to make but they boast incredible flavours too. The creamy layer, jello layer, cookie crumbs, and fresh berries all come together in harmony to make a delicious jello recipe suitable for any season or occasion.
Other Recipes You Will Love
Bella Bucchiotti of xoxoBella is a storyteller, food lover, dog mom and adventure seeker living on the Pacific coast. She shares her passion for recipes, dogs, sustainability, adventures, travel and philanthropy, in hopes of encouraging followers to run the extra mile, try new recipes, visit unfamiliar places and stand for a cause. Bella lives with Type 1 Diabetes and Celiac Disease.
Bella Bucchiotti is a freelance food, travel, and lifestyle writer for MSN and the Associated Press Wire.