If you’re craving a quick beef recipe for dinner, you might like to make pan roasted beef tenderloin medallions. Featuring the delicious flavours of cayenne, garlic, chilies, horseradish and more, these seared beef medallions with tomato relish sauce are sure to tantalize your taste buds with this 30 minute meal. It’s a great recipe for a busy weeknight supper since it’s pretty easy to throw together in a cast iron skillet.
Grab a cast iron skillet and get ready to make beef with red onion, peppers and cherry tomatoes for dinner. This full-flavoured dish pairs beautifully with anything from mashed potatoes to noodles. You will find these steak medallions are perfect for special occasions or even weeknight dinners.
Pan Roasted Beef Tenderloin Medallions Ingredients
You will need beef filet medallions of about 8 ounces apiece to make this quick beef recipe. You will be able to get this at your local grocery store or butcher shop. For the vegetables you need red onion, peppers, and cherry tomatoes. Then the flavour comes from cayenne pepper, butter, garlic cloves, vinegar, basil, sour cream, and horseradish.
How to Make Seared Beef Medallions
You are going to need to start the pan roasted beef tenderloin medallions ahead since it’s important to let the meat come to room temperature and the salt to melt into it. So after seasoning the beef on both sides with salt and pepper, let it sit on the counter for about half an hour. After that you can add some cayenne pepper. Don’t go overboard with this ingredient – you just want a touch of spice!
Sear the beef on both sides for about 3 minutes each side in a preheated skillet. Next add the butter and garlic to the large skillet and continue to cook for another few minutes. Incorporate all of the tasty browned bits and get a nice sear on the beef tenderloin steaks.
Pop the tenderloin steaks into a preheated oven and give them a further 8 to 11 minutes or until done to your liking. Meanwhile you can make the tomato relish sauce. Put the red onion, peppers, and cherry tomatoes in a food processor and pulse several times then transfer the veggie mixture to a pan. Add the vinegar and cook for about five minutes then stir in some chopped fresh basil.
You can use your favourite herbs of choice instead of basil. So many fresh herbs would go well with this such as fresh rosemary or Italian parsley. Like so many easy dinner recipes, these pan-seared steaks are quite versatile and can be adapted based on what you have on hand.
Whisk the sour cream, horseradish and garlic. Serve the seared beef medallions topped with the tomato relish sauce and horseradish mixture on top. Spoon sauce on just before serving for best results.
What Type of Steak to Use
A beef medallion, or steak medallion, is basically a smallish round steak. Although you might find medallions from the strip loin, medallions typically come from the tenderloin (like filet mignon). They tend to be about 2 or 3 inches across and an inch or 2 high. This is one of my favourite beef medallions recipes as it is so flavourful.
Seared beef medallions should be tender since they’re from the tenderloin area but they don’t have the robust meaty flavour of, say, rib-eye. You have the choice of either buying pre-cut medallions or else you can buy tenderloin and cut your own which works out a little cheaper.
However, if you do plan to cut your own medallions you must use a very sharp knife else they will come out ragged which won’t look good!
This cut of meat suits pan-frying, grilling or else searing in a cast iron skillet and then finishing off in the oven like in this steak medallions recipe.
Pan Roasted Beef Tenderloin Medallions FAQs
Since you already have the meat as well as plenty of vegetables in the recipe, you might want to consider a starch. Mashed potatoes, roasted potatoes, egg noodles, couscous, and rice are just some of your options.
Cast iron is oven-proof which is why it’s best to use a cast iron skillet for this recipe, since the beef goes in the oven. If you sear the pan roasted beef tenderloin medallions in another pan, the handle might melt in the oven.
Cast iron is really sturdy and heavy and I love cooking with it. You can buy a great cast iron skillet online which is going to last you for many years.
If you’ve made a lot of beef or steak recipes you’ll get used to telling the doneness of the meat by touch. With this recipe, you will want to give it 8 minutes in the oven (after searing) for medium-rare. Rare would be 6 or 7 minutes, while medium would be 10 or 11 minutes perhaps. If you have a meat thermometer, you can double-check using that. Medium-rare will be 130 to 140 degrees in the center while medium will be 140 to 150 degrees F.
Pan Roasted Beef Tenderloin Medallions with Tomato Relish Recipe
Pan Roasted Beef Tenderloin Medallions with Tomato Relish
- 4 beef filet medallions, 8 Ounces each
- ½ Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Teaspoons sea salt flake
- 1 Teaspoons black pepper fresh cracked
- ¼ Teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 Tablespoon butter
- 4 Cloves garlic crushed
- ½ red onion chopped
- 2 serrano peppers seeded and chopped
- 1 Cup grape tomatoes medley, halved
- 1 Teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoon basil chopped
- ½ Cup sour cream
- 1 Teaspoon garlic minced
- 1 Tablespoon horseradish
- Season both sides of the steak with salt and pepper. Tie steaks using cooking twine around the sides to form into medallions. Allow steaks to come to room temperature and the salt to melt into the meat. (About 30 minutes) then, season lightly with cayenne pepper.
- Preheat a frying pan over medium high heat. (For the steak) Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F. Preheat a second frying pan over medium heat. (For the tomato relish)
- Once the cast iron skillet is hot, sear the medallions for 3 minutes, then flip. Add the butter and crushed garlic and sear for 3 more minutes, spooning butter over the steaks as they sear. Remove from heat and place crushed garlic on top of each.
- Place into the oven and cook for 8-10 minutes. (8-10 minutes for medium rare, 10 to11 minutes for medium) *check steak internal temp with a meat thermometer as cooking times may vary*
- While the steak is cooking, prepare tomato relish. Add chopped red onion, peppers, and cherry tomatoes to a food processor. Pulse 2 to 3 times to lightly break up the vegetables. Add to a saucepan with white wine vinegar and cook for 5 minutes over medium low heat. Remove from heat and add to a small bowl. Stir in chopped basil and set aside.
- Add horseradish, sour cream, and minced garlic to a small bowl and whisk to combine.
- Plate the steak over the tomato relish and top with horseradish cream.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.
These mouth-watering pan roasted beef tenderloin medallions with red onion, peppers, and cherry tomatoes really deliver on flavour. You will be surprised at how easy it is to make this simple recipe. Served with potatoes or rice, this quick beef recipe with tomato relish sauce is an impressive yet simple dish. You will love this 30 minute meal!
Other Recipes You Will Love
Bella Bucchiotti is a storyteller, food lover, dog mom and adventure seeker living on the Pacific coast. She shares her passion for food, dogs, fitness, adventures, travel and philanthropy, in hopes of encouraging followers to run the extra mile, try new recipes, visit unfamiliar places and stand for a cause. Bella lives with Type 1 Diabetes and Celiac Disease.
this looks so good with the tomato chutney
Oh yes, I know I’d love this dish! I will keep it in mind for dinner.
That tomato relish looks so good, a nice way to mix things up.
OMG! You had me at roasted beef! That beef looks really great and mouth watering!
This sounds perfect for a mothers day dinner!
What gorgeous flavours coming together here. I love beef and horseradish! Delicious.