Parmesan and mozzarella air fryer puff pastry garlic cheese twists make a wonderful air fryer appetizer or side dish. There is nothing difficult about making cheese twists from scratch. And of course homemade puff pastry cheese straws are so much more delicious than the store-bought kind. So, what are you waiting for? You’ll definitely want to make these puff pastry sheet based cheese snacks right away!
Boasting the unmistakable flavours of parmesan and mozzarella, this crispy snack is great for everything from picnics to parties. Puff pastry cheese straws always disappear fast because they’re so irresistible.
Why You’ll Love These
- Simple to make: You can buy these from the store but since it’s so easy to make your own, you might as well, as they’re better that way. You are starting with a puff pastry sheet, cheese and seasoned butter, then combining them, twisting them up and air frying until done.
- Crisp and crunchy: The texture of these is fantastic, especially if you serve them warm from the air fryer. They’re so crispy – one is never enough!
- Customizable: Feel free to use any herbs, spices or seasonings you want. Swap the cheese for different kinds. Or pick a more unusual dipping sauce. You can really make this recipe your own and put your own stamp on it.
Air Fryer Puff Pastry Garlic Cheese Twists Ingredients
In addition to the garlic, parmesan and mozzarella, you will need puff pastry, butter, basil, paprika, salt, and paprika. Marinara sauce is ideal for the dip.
Using readymade puff pastry sheets makes light work of these air fryer puff pastry garlic cheese twists. If you want, you can switch the basil for dried oregano or the paprika for cayenne pepper. I like to use smoked paprika in this air fryer appetizer or side dish because it gives the cheese straws in air fryer recipe so much flavour.
As for the dipping sauce, tomato and cheese have a natural affinity for one another but any other dip would work for these. Consider tomato salsa, chive and onion dip or guacamole. Perhaps you have another favourite or, if you’re making a range of appetizers, you could offer more than one.
How to Make Puff Pastry Cheese Twists from Scratch
For more detailed instructions with weights and measurements, jump to the printable recipe card.
- Prepare the puff pastry sheets: Cut each puff pastry sheet into strips on a floured surface.
- Prepare the cheese and the butter mixture: Cut the mozzarella into strips, and mix the butter with the basil, garlic, parmesan, and salt, then brush it over the pastry strips and add the mozzarella on top.
- Shape the twists: Twist each one to hold in the cheese and make a cute twist shape.
- Cook and serve: Brush butter over them and air fry until golden, then serve warm with basil and serve with your preferred dipping sauce
The History of Puff Pastry Cheese Straws
Perhaps you’re curious about puff pastry air fryer twists history. Making cheese twists from scratch goes back hundreds of years. They are often made in the classic ‘twist’ shape but you can get them in various shapes.
The exact origin of this air fryer appetizer or side dish is unknown but they are believed to hail from somewhere in the South.
One legend is that a cook combined leftover dough for biscuits with cheese and made strips. There is evidence of cheese straws recipes in Southern cookbooks dating back to the 1800s.
Flour, cheese, salt, and baking powder are the original ingredients although there are various cheese twist recipes to choose from.
Modern parmesan and mozzarella straws are popular at cocktail parties and they’re portable enough for box lunches or picnics. They can be enjoyed as a snack or served alongside salad or soup.
Cheddar was the original cheese called for, although parmesan and mozzarella also work nicely. Thawed puff pastry is ideal for this recipe but you can also make them using butter cookie dough.
How to Store these Cheese Snacks
- Store: Keep the twists in an airtight container and use within a few days.
- Freeze: These freeze (use Ziploc bags or freezer-safe bags) if you’re careful not to break them.
Air Fryer Puff Pastry Garlic Cheese Twists FAQs
The good news is this air fryer appetizer or side dish recipe keeps for up to a week, as long as you keep them in an airtight container. If they do go a bit soft, you can pop them in a 350 degrees F oven for about 3 minutes to crisp them back up.
The good news is these are good for up to 3 months in the freezer. However, be careful when packing them because the flaky pastry can break easily. Either freeze them before baking or freeze the cooked ones.
For unbaked ones, lay them on a parchment paper-covered baking sheet and freeze them. Then you can transfer them into a Ziploc freezer bag and squeeze out any excess air.
For baked cheese twists, let them cool completely and then do the same as with unbaked ones, laying them out on a baking sheet first. Again, be very careful when handling them because the delicate pastry can break if you aren’t. They will take a couple of hours to thaw and the best way is on the countertop under a clean tea towel.
Unbaked ones can then go into the oven to bake, as per the recipe. Already baked ones will need 10 minutes in the oven to crisp them back up again.
Air Fryer Puff Pastry Garlic Cheese Twists Recipe
Air Fryer Puff Pastry Garlic Cheese Twists
- 2 puff pastry sheets
- 1/2 Cup butter melted
- 8 Ounces mozzarella cheese block
- 2 Tablespoons parmesan grated
- 1 Teaspoon basil dried
- 5 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 Teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 1/2 Teaspoon paprika
- 1 Tablespoon fresh basil chopped
- 1/2 Cup marinara sauce for dipping
- Allow puff pastry to thaw completely before starting.
- Preheat the air fryer to 375 degrees F.
- Lightly flour a wooden cutting board and unroll the puff pastry.
- Cut the pastry into 1” strips
- Slice mozzarella into ¼” strips
- Combine melted butter, Parmesan, dried basil, minced garlic, and sea salt in a small mixing bowl. Mix well.
- Brush pastry with butter mix.
- Lay mozzarella down the center of the pastry strips. Twist tightly to cover the cheese.
- Brush pastry twists with butter. Arrange in a single layer in the air fryer basket leaving a half inch of space between each strip.
- Cook for 7 minutes.
- Sprinkle chopped basil over the strips and serve with marinara to dip.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.
Once you know how easy it is to make cheese twists from scratch, you will want to make these. Air fryer puff pastry garlic cheese twists are bursting with flavour and they’re always a popular snack served with marinara sauce for dipping.
Other Recipes You Will Love
Bella Bucchiotti of xoxoBella is a storyteller, food lover, dog mom and adventure seeker living on the Pacific coast. She shares her passion for recipes, dogs, sustainability, adventures, travel and philanthropy, in hopes of encouraging followers to run the extra mile, try new recipes, visit unfamiliar places and stand for a cause. Bella lives with Type 1 Diabetes and Celiac Disease.
Bella Bucchiotti is a freelance food, travel, and lifestyle writer for MSN and the Associated Press Wire.