Chocolate dipped peppermint meringue kiss Christmas cookies look so elegant but they aren’t hard to make. If you are in the mood to make holiday meringue cookies, you can’t go wrong with these dipped meringue kisses. You will love the flavour combination of meringue, chocolate and candy cane.
Chocolate dipped Christmas cookies, or peppermint meringue kisses, are statement little cookies. Not only are chocolate dipped meringue cookies super-cute but they are also straightforward to prepare.
Peppermint Meringue Kiss Cookie Ingredients
You don’t need many ingredients to make chocolate dipped peppermint meringue kiss Christmas cookies. Semisweet chocolate chips, sugar, egg whites, peppermint candy, and cream of tartar are the main ones. You can also choose from peppermint or vanilla extract, or even make some of each.
If you prefer a different kind of chocolate, bittersweet or milk chocolate would work. The sugar should be just regular white, granulated sugar. Use any kind of peppermint candies for these meringue, chocolate and candy cane treats. This is one of the best Christmas meringue kisses recipes. I just know you’ll love it!
What is Cream of Tartar?
This is one of those ingredients that is often called for in sweet recipes. But what is it exactly? Despite the name, it isn’t creamy. It’s a powder which is going to make all the difference in your chocolate dipped peppermint meringue kiss Christmas cookies.
Also known as potassium bi-tartrate or tartaric acid, cream of tartar is a by-product of grapes, when they are fermented into wine. You can find it in every spice aisle. Add some to egg whites to encourage them to foam and stabilize. This means perfect, light-as-air meringues.
This ingredient is also used in other recipes, such as angel food cake, to achieve a light texture. Snickerdoodle cookies get their tangy taste from cream of tartar, which also stops the sugar crystalizing in the dough and becoming crunchy. So it keeps them chewy instead of crunchy.
How to Make Holiday Meringue Cookies
Whisk the egg whites with the cream of tartar until frothy. It’s important to ensure the whisk and mixing bowl are perfectly clean before you start with no trace of grease. You should also ensure there is no trace of egg yolk in the egg whites.
Once frothy, you can add in the sugar and then the peppermint or vanilla extract to the meringue kisses recipe mixture. I like to use clear vanilla extract so it doesn’t colour the meringues at all. It doesn’t make too much difference but I love getting the meringues beautifully snowy white for Christmas!
You can now pipe swirls of the meringue mixture from a piping bag with a large star tip or round tip, on to parchment paper lined cookie sheets. Bake them until firm without opening the oven door then let them switch the oven off and leave the meringues in there for another 1½ hours or until completely cool.
Now melt the chocolate chips and dip each of the little meringues in there. Finally dip them into the crushed peppermint candies while the chocolate is still liquid. Let them set completely then enjoy!
Chocolate dipped meringue kisses are unique. They seem to have a hard crunch then dissolve and melt in the mouth! You can use Starlight mints or peppermint candy canes to dip the chocolate into. If you don’t like either, finely chopped nuts would also work or even sprinkles. Tweak the ingredients so you an make the angel kiss cookies the exact way you love them.
Peppermint Meringue Kiss Cookie Tips
Here are 3 tips to ensure you get the best results from this meringue, chocolate and candy cane recipe:
- I find it easier to make the meringues with a stand mixer. A hand-held mixer would also work but it can take longer until stiff peaks form.
- If you’re new to using a piping bag for peppermint meringues, practice first before making Christmas meringue cookie recipes. If you don’t want to, you can spoon the meringue mixture instead of piping it. They will look different but still taste great.
- The most important step for meringue-making is not to open the oven door. Meringues don’t actually ‘bake’ in the oven. They set in an oven that was heated. This is why it’s crucial to leave them in the warm oven for an hour and a half. You can’t rush meringue, chocolate and candy cane treats!
How to Store Chocolate Dipped Meringue Kisses
Christmas meringue cookie recipes with candy cane flavor do keep for a while. They will be fine at room temperature in an airtight container for up to a week. The exception is if you’re in a warm climate or your kitchen gets really hot, since this will melt the chocolate, but you can also keep them refrigerated.
Meringue christmas cookies are suitable for freezing also. Pack them in an airtight container and they will freeze for up to a month. When you want to thaw them, let them sit on a wire rack at room temperature. So you might like to make a double batch of meringue candy kisses!
Meringue Christmas Cookie FAQs
Yes, this peppermint meringue kisses recipe is gluten free. Make sure that you choose peppermint candy or candy canes that are gluten free to make a great cookie everyone can enjoy.
Meringue kiss cookies will keep at room temperature in an airtight container for up to a week.
Find these cookies and others in my holiday cookie box
Chocolate Dipped Peppermint Meringue Kiss Christmas Cookies
Chocolate Dipped Peppermint Meringue Kiss Christmas Cookies
- 1 Cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 Cup sugar
- 4 egg whites at room temperature
- 1/2 Cup candy canes crushed
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract clear vanilla extract if you can find or try or peppermint extract
- 1/2 Teaspoon cream of tartar
- Prepare 2 baking sheets by lining with parchment paper.
- Preheat your oven to 225 degrees F.
- In the bowl of a mixer, combine the cream of tartar with the room temperature egg whites. Beat on medium high until the eggs become nice and frothy.
- Slowly stream in the sugar a little bit at a time.
- Whip and sugar and eggs until the mixture holds stiff peaks.
- Add the vanilla or peppermint extract and give one last good mix until combined.
- Place the mixture into a piping bag fitted with a star piping tip.
- Pipe 1.5” swirls onto your prepared baking sheet, keeping 1.5”to 2” between each one
- Bake at 225 degrees F (preheated) for approximately 45 minutes, or until firm to the touch. Leave the tray in the oven with the door closed, turn the oven off and let rest for 60 to 90 additional minutes.
- Once the cookies have cooled completely, remove from the oven.
- Melt the chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl.
- Dip the bottom of each meringue into the chocolate then dip into the crushed peppermint candy.
- Place the meringue back onto the cookie sheet to set.
- Once the chocolate has hardened, serve or store in an airtight container.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.
This gluten free peppermint meringue recipe are so much easier to make than you would think. They are great for cookie exchanges, cookie boxes and all your holiday events. With just a handful of ingredients and disposable decorating bags with a pastry tip, you can make angel kisses cookies for Christmas or any other time of year.
These look so good! I have always wanted to try them. This is the year!