I love granola and I like trying out different brands. It’s tasty, crunchy and part of a healthy breakfast. A go-to vegan gluten free granola recipe is a must, so I experimented for how to make granola at home. And I have to say this is the best gluten free granola ever! Read on for how to make this easy homemade granola.
This is an easy homemade granola recipe. It’s crunchy, varied and tasty. This vegan gluten free granola recipe is great enjoyed with your favourite kind of dairy free milk or yogurt, or you can eat it as a snack.
Easy Homemade Granola Ingredients
This is part of a healthy breakfast and boasts some yummy ingredients. The main ingredients are oats and pecans. Almonds, flaked and shredded coconut, and pumpkin seeds add more crunch. More flavour comes from vanilla, cinnamon and maple syrup. You can vary these ingredients if you want to tweak the recipe.
What Type of Oats is Best for Homemade Granola?
You will need old-fashioned oats, also called rolled oats, for this recipe. This type of oats is flaky and flat. They’re the best option for this vegan gluten free granola recipe and also granola bars, muffins, and cookies.
Steel cut oats take longer to cook than rolled oats. These are tough before cooking. Another type is quick-cook oats and these only take a minute to make oatmeal. Instant oats are even thinner and quicker-cooking than rolled oats.
All the above types of oats offer the same nutrition. They’re all rich in fibre and all 100% whole grain. But choose old-fashioned oats for easy homemade granola. That way you can ensure the best texture.
For a vegan gluten free granola recipe, choose gluten free rolled oats. Bob’s Red Mill is a good brand. Although oats are gluten free, they are often processed in the same factories as rye, barley and wheat, so might be contaminated.
Oats are often part of a healthy breakfast in the form of oatmeal. But learn how to make granola at home and it will become your new favourite breakfast.
How to Make the Best Gluten Free Granola
This vegan gluten free granola recipe is easy to make. Melt some coconut oil and mix in cinnamon, maple syrup and vanilla. Mix in the oats and then the rest of the granola ingredients. Put the granola mixture on a parchment paper lined baking tray and bake it for 20 to 25 minutes.
When it’s crunchy and golden, it’s ready. You can keep it in an airtight container in the refrigerator or at room temperature for up to 2 weeks. It’s still fine to eat after this but will lose some of its crunch.
How to Serve Homemade Granola
How do you like your granola? This is the best gluten free granola to enjoy with milk. You can add any kind of milk: almond, soy, dairy, or even coconut milk. Granola is also good with fresh chopped fruit or yogurt, or as part of a smoothie bowl.
Easy Homemade Granola Variations
Add some dried fruit to the granola mix if you want. Blueberries, pineapple, cherries, and papaya are just a few ideas. Fruit can be a great part of a healthy breakfast. When you know how to make granola at home you can add any flavours into it you want.
Honey would work instead of maple syrup if you aren’t strictly vegan. You can also swap the pecans and almonds for other nuts such as cashews, peanuts or walnuts. The cinnamon can be switched for nutmeg if you prefer it.
Tips for Perfect Vegan Gluten Free Granola
- When you add the granola mixture to the parchment paper lined tray, really press it down. This makes the ingredients stick together better and will result in nice big clusters. You need to spread it out so it gets crispy but also press it together enough to stick.
- Keep the granola in the refrigerator if you want it extra-crunchy. The coconut oil will set harder is why. It’s also fine at room temperature if you don’t have space in the refrigerator.
- When baking the granola, use the bottom rack of the oven. This means it’s closer to the heating element so it will crisp up even faster.
- Consider a silicon baking mat instead of parchment paper if you want extra crunch. Parchment paper can get soggy but reusable silicon baking mats help keep the granola crunchy.
Easy Homemade Vegan Gluten Free Granola Recipe
Easy Homemade Vegan Gluten Free Granola
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Place melted coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla extract and cinnamon in a large bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Add rolled oats and stir until oats are well coated.
- Add crushed pecan nuts, crushed almonds, shredded coconut, flaked coconut and pumpkin seeds. Stir to combine.
- Place granola in the prepared baking tray and extend it evenly.
- Bake it for 20 to 25 minutes or until granola is golden brown and crunchy.
- Store it in a jar with a lid for up to two weeks.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.
Is your mouth watering for the best gluten free granola yet? I bet it is! It’s so easy to learn how to make granola at home. This is by far the crunchiest, best vegan gluten free granola recipe I have discovered.