It can be hard knowing what to make for Halloween because there are just so many great recipes! I love these Halloween monster eye pretzels for more than one reason. They look great and taste fantastic. Plus, you only need 3 ingredients to make these spooky monster treats! These Halloween pretzels with eyeballs are really too cute to spook and make a great Halloween snack for kids of all ages. Give this easy party treat recipe a try this year!
You will need black candy melts as well as candy eyes to make these. Some coconut oil is a third optional ingredient. You will also need parchment paper and a baking sheet to make Halloween pretzels with eyeballs.
How to Make the Easy Party Treat Recipe
These are easy-to-make Halloween snacks for kids, so if you want DIY snacks to make at home, these are perfect. Put the black candies in a dish and melt them in the microwave. If the mixture seems quite thick you can mix in a little coconut oil. You might not need to.
The next step in this Halloween monster eye pretzels recipe is to dip the pretzels. Do this quickly while the candy mixture is still melted and runny. Use toothpicks to dip the pretzels into the candy mixture.
After that, you can arrange the dipped pretzels on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet then add a candy eye to each small pretzel hole. Do this quickly before the candy sets. Finally just refrigerate the Halloween pretzels with eyeballs for 10 minutes. That’s all! Now you can serve them!
Tips and Tricks for Halloween Monster Eye Pretzels
It’s so easy to make this Halloween snack for kids, but it’s always worth knowing some tips and tricks. You will need to work quickly when making this easy party treat recipe. You need to dip the pretzels into the melted black candies while it’s still melted.
Then you will want to press the candy eyes on to each one before the mixture sets. It’s OK if it does start to thicken up though. You can easily melt it again.
The eyes don’t have to be positioned perfectly. If they go a little crooked as they sink into the melted candy coating, that is fine. In fact, when did you last see a perfect-looking monster? It all adds to the scariness factor of these spooky monster treats!
Make sure you don’t overload the largest hole in each pretzel because this is going to be the mouth of the monster. After the Halloween pretzels with eyeballs are dry, you can use a toothpick to break off surplus bits of chocolate. This makes them look prettier. It’s not a huge deal though so if you’re busy with other DIY snacks to make at home, you can skip this.
Another factor to bear in mind when making this Halloween snack for kids is the temperature. Don’t put these under a hot light or let them get too warm. They will get sticky and melt if you do.
What are Candy Melts?
This easy party treat recipe makes use of black candy melts. But what are they and where you can buy them? Well, candy melts come in different shapes and flavours. They are designed to melt, making them ideal for DIY snacks to make at home.
These candies are also idea for dipping, drizzling and moulding. Use them for cake pops, truffles or moulded candies. I used the Wilton brand but they’re all pretty similar. You can get them in various stores or else just order them from Amazon.
Candy melts aren’t the same as chocolate. They’re mainly made with sugar and vegetable oil. There is typically no cocoa butter in them. They melt smoothly and easily.
I recommend buying these well in advance of when you plan to make a Halloween snack for kids. They do tend to sell out the closer you get to Halloween itself! So plan ahead. Make a list of easy party treat recipe ideas so you remember the ingredients you will need to grab.
These are Well Worth Making!
Add these Halloween monster eye pretzels to your spooky monster treats ideas and you will be happy you did. They’re so fun and easy to make and the kids will love them!
The combination of salty pretzels and sweet candy makes these Halloween monster eye pretzels really mouth-watering. Try to eat just one of these spooky monster treats – it’s impossible!
Halloween Monster Eye Pretzels Recipe
Spooky Halloween Monster Eye Pretzels
- 1 Cup candy melts Black
- 50 candy eyes sprinkles
- 1 Tsp. coconut oil optional
- Place the black candy melts in a deep, but small (not wide) dish.
- Microwave on high in 30 second intervals, stirring in between until the chocolate is smooth. This took about 2 minutes.
- If the chocolate is pretty thick and hard to dip for whatever reason, try adding the coconut oil and stirring vigorously until fully combined. This isn’t a consistent issue, but is a possibility.
- Lay the pretzels gently on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper and immediately apply two eyes, one in each of the smaller top holes of the pretzel.
- Once finished with all the pretzels, place them in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- The eyes will want to sink into the holes a bit. If you place the eyes directly in the middle, they should sit up. If not, the eyes sinking into the holes won’t hurt anything unless they start to go super crooked.
- I used toothpicks to dip the pretzels. I used a toothpick in my other hand to help the excess chocolate drain off and not clog the bigger hole since it’s important for the big hole to be clear for the mouth of the snack.
- Once the pretzels are dry, you may have to break off little fly away pieces of chocolate to make them prettier.
- On hotter days, these melt easily, so make sure you prepare for that possibility.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.
These are quick and easy to prepare and you can even get the kids to help you put the eyes on or dip the pretzels into the melted candy mixture. So enjoy your Halloween monster eye pretzels this Halloween!
If you are looking for other Halloween recipes, you might also like Spider Halloween Pizza with Black Charcoal Crust. Easy Candy Apples – Autumn and Halloween Treat or Colourful No Churn Halloween Ice Cream.