These easy air fryer gluten free egg rolls are perfect if you don’t eat gluten. I love making these gluten free egg roll wrappers for my egg rolls. I adore the flavour and texture and also how easy homemade egg roll wrappers are to make in the air fryer!
Using these wrappers, I made air fryer egg rolls. As you know, egg rolls are usually deep-fried but the air fryer is a game changer! You can cut down on the oil and still end up with wonderfully crispy egg rolls!
Egg roll wrappers are usually made of egg and wheat flour. For this gluten-free air fryer recipe though I used tapioca flour and rice flour. The other ingredients are xanthan gum, pepper and salt, as well as eggs and cold water.
How to Make Homemade Egg Roll Wrappers
These gluten-free egg roll wrappers aren’t hard to make. You need to combine the tapioca flour, rice flour, xanthan gum, salt and pepper. Mix the eggs with water in a second bowl, then combine the egg mixture with the flour mixture.
You will end up with dough which you then roll out to ¼-inch thin. This is twice the thickness of conventional egg roll wrappers at 1/8-inch thick. However if they’re any thinner they are likely to tear since the dough is quite fragile. It’s best to just make them a bit thicker so they can hold the filling and not break.
Once you’ve cut the dough into squares, you can add the egg roll filling and then tuck and roll the wrappers around the filling. The air fryer egg rolls can then go into the air fryer. Mist them with cooking spray and give them about fifteen minutes. These easy gluten-free egg rolls will be crispy and golden brown when they’re done.
The satisfying crunch of these gluten free egg roll wrappers is so satisfying. It’s a gluten free air fryer recipe which is so easy to make. Even if you can’t have gluten you can still enjoy these air fryer egg rolls. Swap the soy sauce in your egg roll mixture for tamari or gluten-free soy sauce (check the ingredients label). That way you can enjoy this classic Chinese recipe without risking celiac side effects!
What are Tapioca Flour and Rice Flour?
If you’re used to making gluten free recipes with alternative flours, you might be familiar with these. If not, you soon will be. Tapioca flour is one of the most versatile alternatives to wheat flour. It might be labeled tapioca starch depending on the brand. It is starchy and a little sweet. Tapioca flour thickens sauces and soups and is a key ingredient in this easy gluten-free egg rolls recipe. Tapioca comes from cassava which is a South American plant. It combines well with other flours.
Rice flour, or rice starch, is the separated starch from grains of rice. It’s good for making cookies, cakes, dumplings, and homemade egg roll wrappers. In this recipe it’s paired with tapioca starch and xanthan gum for a great result.
What is Xanthan Gum?
You might be wondering why this gluten-free air fryer recipe contains xanthan gum. And what is it exactly? Xanthan gum is a gluten-free option for a stabilizer or thickener. It pairs well with the tapioca and rice flours in these gluten-free egg roll wrappers. Xanthan gum is made by fermenting simple sugars with a certain type of bacteria.
Tips for Perfect Air Fryer Egg Rolls
The gluten-free egg roll wrappers are perfect made just the way the recipe says. There isn’t really anything you can replace the eggs with since they get the texture just right and hold everything together. The flours are great too, although if there is a gluten-free flour you prefer you can try that. The same dough would work for dumplings, wontons or potstickers.
Don’t be tempted to roll them out too thin. I tried thicker ones and thinner ones for my homemade egg roll wrappers. The thicker ones were a little stodgy and the thin ones just tore when I tried to fill them. So for the least stress (and best flavour!) go with ¼-inch thick and no less or more!
Maybe you’ve been eating egg roll in a bowl because you didn’t want to use conventional egg roll wrappers. However with this air fryer egg rolls recipe you don’t have to. You can enjoy easy gluten-free egg rolls whenever you crave a tasty Chinese snack.
Air Fryer Gluten Free Egg Roll Wrappers Recipe
Air Fryer Gluten Free Egg Roll Wrappers
- 1 Cup tapioca flour
- 2 Cup rice flour
- 1 Teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 Teaspoon pepper
- 1 Cup water cold
- In a large mixing bowl, combine tapioca flour, rice flour, xanthan gum, pepper, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs and water together. Add eggs to the flour and use a wooden spoon to combine into a dough. Form a dough ball
- Lightly flour your work surface (using tapioca or rice flour). Place the dough ball onto the surface and cover with plastic wrap. Use a rolling pin to roll dough out to ¼” thin. The dough is very fragile so keeping it slightly thicker than the typical ⅛” will help it to hold its shape and prevent tearing.
- Cut dough into 6×6 squares. Lightly dampen a paper towel or cloth and cover the eggrolls as you are working to prevent drying. I like to wet a stack of napkins and keep them on a plate so that I can place the egg roll wraps between them as I go.
- Add 3-4 tbsp of egg roll filling (recipe above) to the center of the egg rolls. Fold the corner over the filling, then fold the left and right side over the filling. Tuck and tightly roll to the unfolded corner.
- Preheat air fryer to 390 degrees F for 5 minutes
- Lightly spray the air fryer basket with non stick cooking spray. Add egg rolls in a single layer. Give the egg rolls a misting of cooking spray.
- Cook for 15 minutes, flipping halfway through. Let cool before serving
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.
Decide what meat and vegetables you want to fill your gluten free egg roll wrappers with. You can then make this gluten-free air fryer recipe and I promise you’ll love the result!