Boasting the sweetness of vanilla pudding, the unmistakable flavour of a dessert with amaretto liqueur and hints of almonds and cinnamon, this no bake amaretto cream pie is seriously impressive. Apart from the boxed vanilla pudding, it’s completely homemade, including the almond crust. This is one Italian inspired dessert you’ll definitely make more than once.
Make this no bake cream pie recipe with amaretto liqueur and you will certainly end the meal in style. It’s a make-ahead dessert, as long as you add the finishing touches just before serving.
Amaretto Cream Pie Ingredients
This dessert is prepared in two parts. First you have the almond crust and then you have the creamy filling. For the crust you are going to need almonds, flour, sugar, butter, cinnamon, and salt.
The exact amount of salt you’ll need depends on the almonds you’re using. Some are very salty, some are moderately salty and some are unsalted! So the best thing would be to taste the mixture and check the salt levels. You can use either all-purpose flour or gluten-free flour in the crust. The measurement would be the same.
The almond amaretto pie filling requires vanilla pudding, cream, milk, amaretto liqueur, almonds, sugar, and gelatine. You will also need some maraschino cherries to decorate this special dessert with amaretto liqueur.
How to Make No Bake Almond Amaretto Pie
Pulse some of the almonds in a food processor until they’re like sand in texture then mix them with the sugar, cinnamon, salt, and flour. Next blend in the butter. Use a pastry cutter if you have one or your fingers if not. Press this mixture into the a deep dish pie pan, covering the bottom and going halfway up the sides.
Bake the crust and let it cool. Next you can make the amaretto cream pie filling. Combine the gelatine and water let it sit for a while. After that, you can whisk the heavy cream with powdered sugar until you get stiff peaks. Mix the pudding, milk and amaretto together and fold in most of the whipped cream mixture.
Next, transfer the cream pie recipe filling into the crust. Chill it for several hours. Don’t skip this part else the filling won’t set properly and you’ll have a gloopy mess instead of a set custard filling!
When you’re ready to serve this Italian inspired dessert, add sliced almonds on top and then whipped cream and maraschino cherries.
A Closer Look at Amaretto Liqueur
If you’re going to make this dessert with amaretto liqueur, you might be wondering about the liqueur. Disaronno is probably the most famous amaretto but there are other brands. Amaretto is an almond liqueur which is nice in dessert recipes as well as cookies or indulgent after-dinner coffees! Although it is often made using apricot kernels, almonds can also be used for flavour.
Amaretto Cream Pie FAQs
As with many sweet treats, this dessert with amaretto liqueur is best served as soon as you’ve made it. However you can make it a day or so ahead if you need to. Don’t add the nuts, whipped cream and maraschino cherries until just before serving though. That way it will look fresh and perfect.
Although amaretto doesn’t feature in the almond crust, it is a key component in the filling. However, if you want to make this Italian inspired dessert non-boozy, that is possible. Use amaretto extract in place of the amaretto liqueur. Different brands have different strengths so start with a couple of teaspoons. You can also check the packaging to see what the suggested amaretto liqueur replacement would be.
Try coconut cream pudding or lemon pudding for a different twist on amaretto cream pie. You can also swap the amaretto for Malibu rum, Limoncello or even Kahlua. The great thing about this recipe is pretty much any liqueur and pudding flavour will work. So if you want to get creative, let me know how it comes out!
Amaretto Cream Pie with Almond Crust Recipe
Amaretto Cream Pie with Almond Crust
- 1 Box instant vanilla pudding mix 5.0 Ounce
- 2 Cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 Cup milk cold
- 1/3 Cup Amaretto Liqueur such as Disaronno
- 1/3 Cup almonds sliced
- 1/2 Cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon water cold
- 1 Teaspoon gelatin unflavored
- maraschino cherries for decoration
- 1 Cup almonds roasted, lightly salted
- 1/2 Cup all purpose flour
- 5 Tablespoon sugar
- 4 Tablespoon butter cold
- 1 Teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a food processor, chop 1 cup of roasted almonds to a sandy texture.
- Mix the sandy almonds in a bowl with the sugar, cinnamon, salt, and gluten free flour.
- Add the cold butter and use your hands or a pastry cutter to cut the butter into the almond mixture.
- Press the mixture into the bottom and halfway up the sides of a 8” to 9” deep dish pie pan (or you can use a 9” to 10” traditional pie pan).
- Bake the pie crust at 425 degrees F for 10 minutes, then remove and let cool completely.
- Once your pie crust is cool, you can begin making the filling.
- In a microwave safe bowl, mix together the gelatin and the cold water. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer add the heavy whipping cream and powdered sugar, whip on medium high just until you almost have soft peaks, then stop the mixer
- Place the gelatin mixture into the microwave for 3 to 5 seconds, this should liquefy the gelatin. Once liquefied, but not hot, turn the mixer back on high speed and slowly drizzle the gelatin into the mixer. Whip until you achieve stiff peaks.
- In a large bowl mix together the vanilla pudding, milk, and Amaretto
- Take about ¾ of the whipped cream and gently fold into the pudding mixture.
- Pour the pie filling into the cooled pie crust and smooth the top with a spatula. Let chill for at least 4 hours.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle the ⅓ cup of sliced almonds over the top of the pie, leaving about a 1” border around the edges.
- Use the remaining whipped cream to pipe little swirls around the edges of the pie.
- Blot the cherries dry with a paper towel, then add one cherry on the top of each swirl of whipped cream.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.
Amaretto cream pie is a mouth-watering no bake dessert with amaretto liqueur. It’s the perfect indulgent dessert for grownups and boasts a flavourful almond crust as well as a rich, custard-like filling spiked with amaretto liqueur.
no bake is my kind of dessert!