Looking for a dairy free banana smoothie recipe? This cashew butter smoothie might well end up becoming one of your favourites. A banana smoothie with cashew butter is rich, tasty and filling. It’s really easy to make, since all you need to do is throw the ingredients in a blender. So, if you grab the ingredients and have a decent blender, get ready for a really impressive flavour experience. Oh, and it’s healthy too! Read on to find out more about this dairy free drink and why you absolutely must try it.
Most smoothies call for dairy ingredients but what about if you need to make your smoothie gluten free? This cashew butter banana smoothie tastes incredible. The flavour and texture are perfect, and it’s great for breakfast or as a dessert. You might want to try coconut milk in this banana cashew drink – it’s so good!
Why You’ll Love It
- Non-dairy milk works so well: We have more cow’s milk alternatives around today than ever before. And most grocery stores stock several. You can use any kind of milk here, including coconut, cashew or almond milk. Soy milk would work. You can even use cow’s milk to make this smoothie with cashew butter – if you’re not dairy-intolerant.
- Delicious flavor: You aren’t sacrificing anything in the way of flavour by opting for non-dairy ingredients. Far from it – the ingredients in this smoothie give it a scrumptious taste. And you can add whatever you want to your banana cashew drink, like chia seeds or protein powder.
- Surprisingly simple: Making this wonderful smoothie is largely just about throwing the ingredients into a blender, so if you’re on the lookout for a dairy-free banana smoothie you’ve found it!
Dairy Free Smoothie Ingredients
You will need a pair of ripe bananas to make this dairy free banana smoothie. Even if they have more black than yellow and you wouldn’t necessarily want to eat them like that, they’re fine for smoothies! Actually if your blender is strong enough, you can use chopped frozen bananas.
If I find myself with more bananas that I’m going to use, my options are usually banana bread or a banana smoothie with cashew butter. But peeling, chopping and freezing them is also a great idea if your blender can handle frozen slices. It means you don’t need to add as much ice too, since the frozen banana chills the drink.
I add cashew nuts and cashew butter for flavour and texture. I think the cashews really complement the banana taste. Then I like to add turmeric, cinnamon and ginger. These are partly for flavour and partly for their health benefits. And don’t forget the milk! Any dairy or non-dairy option works here. Try coconut milk in this banana cashew drink for an exotic flavour.
How to Make a Dairy Free Banana Smoothie
For more detailed instructions with weights and measurements, jump to the printable recipe card.
- Blend the ingredients: Put everything in the blender and puree.
- Serve: Pour into glasses and enjoy. Yes – that’s it!
This couldn’t be simpler actually. Just throw everything into a blender and press the button! That’s all you need to do to make this dairy free smoothie recipe.
I like to serve mine in tall glasses and sprinkle with some cashews on top. You can use a regular blender. I used the immersion blender and that worked just fine.
Dairy Free Smoothie Recipe Variations
Just like with any dairy free smoothie recipe, you can change the ingredients if you want. Using your preferred type of milk and bananas as a base, you can add other flavours too.
Try dates or honey to sweeten it some more, or maybe a handful of spinach for extra nutrients. Chia seeds work as well in this banana cashew drink.
If you’re using coconut milk you might like to add some coconut flakes to the blender too, to strengthen the tropical flavour. You could even add coconut if you’re using soy, oat or another type of milk. Why not? It’s your smoothie!
Leave out any of the spices you don’t have or don’t really like, or add others that you do. Allspice or nutmeg would be good here, but just a small pinch since both of those can be pretty strong tasting.
How to Store It
- Store: Although it will keep for a few hours in the refrigerator, this dairy free smoothie is best served immediately, and it only takes a minute to make, so make it and enjoy it right away – you’ll be happy you did!
- Freeze: Well, you could freeze it as long as you mix it up well again after thawing, but honestly this is way better fresh!
Banana Smoothie with Cashew Butter FAQs
There are plenty of healthy ingredients in this dairy free banana smoothie. Bananas are, as you know, a great source of potassium and energy.
The type of milk you use determines the nutrients you get. As for the cashews, they’re low in sugar but high in fibre, plant protein and heart-healthy fats. They also give you magnesium, manganese and copper, and are good for bone and brain health.
As for the turmeric in this banana smoothie with cashew butter, that comes with health benefits too. You can find turmeric in all kinds of beverages from teas to smoothies and more. Turmeric is a strong anti-inflammatory and antioxidant. It is believed to lower the risk of heart disease and considered helpful in preventing Alzheimer’s.
Cinnamon and ginger add to the flavour of this banana smoothie with cashew butter. But that’s not all! Cinnamon comes from the inner bark of trees. Like turmeric, it’s rich in both antioxidants and is an anti-inflammatory. It lowers blood sugar and is also thought to fight fungal and bacterial infections.
The ginger in this smoothie with cashew butter is also good for you. Ginger is another spice with anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. It can help fight nausea and chronic indigestion.
So there you have it. Now you have plenty of reasons to make this healthy smoothie with cashew butter!
Honestly, any kind of milk works, from dairy milk to soy, almond, cashew (my favourite!) or rice milk, this will taste delicious. So just take your pick! Oh, and if you choose almond milk you might like to team it with almond butter. Coconut milk? That goes with any kind of butter!
BANANA SMOOTHIE WITH CASHEW BUTTER
- 2 bananas ripe or very ripe
- 2 Cups almond milk or any other kind of milk
- 1/2 Tsp. cinnamon
- 1 Tsp. turmeric
- 1/2 Tsp. ground ginger
- 2 Tsps. cashew butter
- 2 Tbsps. cashew nuts
- Peel 2 ripe bananas and put them in the blender.
- Add milk, all the spices and the cashew butter. You can use cow, coconut, almond or even cashew milk.
- Blend everything together until smooth and creamy.
- Pour into 2 long glass and serve with ice (optional) and few cashew nuts on top for garnish.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.
I like to have this banana cashew butter smoothie for breakfast sometimes. It’s quick to make and if I’m in a rush I can literally tip everything into a blender and the smoothie is ready to drink in under a minute. It’s filling enough to keep me happy until lunchtime too.
You could also try a cashew milk smoothie an hour before working out, to give you extra energy. Another idea is to enjoy it as a dessert – it’s sweet and satisfying after all!
Let me know if you try this amazing banana smoothie with cashew butter. Or try almond butter. I know I always enjoy this dairy free banana smoothie recipe, and I’m sure you will too.
Other Recipes You Might Like
Bella Bucchiotti is a storyteller, food lover, dog mom and adventure seeker living on the Pacific coast. She shares her passion for food, dogs, fitness, adventures, travel and philanthropy, in hopes of encouraging followers to run the extra mile, try new recipes, visit unfamiliar places and stand for a cause. Bella lives with Type 1 Diabetes and Celiac Disease.