If you’re looking for soft and chewy chocolate cookies, you’re going to love these caramel stuffed chocolate cookies. Each chocolate chip cookie features a sweet caramel core to make them doubly appealing. Everything from the chewy chocolate cookies to the gooey caramels inside means these are going to disappear alarmingly fast whenever you make them.
These caramel filled cookies are easy to make and best when served warm from the oven. In fact, they’re almost impossible to resist when your kitchen smells this good! This is the ultimate cookie dessert if you have a sweet tooth.
Why You’ll Love These
- So easy to make: All you have to do is mix the cookie ingredients, shape the dough into cookies and press a caramel candy into each one before baking.
- The richest cookie recipe ever: Chewy caramel stuffed inside chocolate cookie dough makes these rich, indulgent and supremely satisfying.
- Great for any occasion: Whether you want to recreate Hershey’s caramel filled chocolate kisses because you have a craving and they’re out of season, or you just want a new cookie recipe and happen to love Kraft caramels, this one ticks all the boxes.
Caramel Stuffed Cookies Ingredients
These deliciously gooey homemade treats call for flour, baking powder, baking soda, butter, cocoa powder, sea salt, eggs, vanilla, white sugar, light or dark brown sugar, milk, white chocolate chips and semi sweet chocolate chips or chunks, and caramel squares.
Use soft caramels like Werther’s Soft Caramels for the best results. You can use Kraft Caramels, but once the cookies cool, the caramel will harden.
I usually bake with unsalted butter but used salted butter for these caramel chocolate chip cookies. The extra salt boosts the sweet and salty factor in these gooey caramel cookies.
How to Make Caramel Filled Cookies
For more detailed instructions with weights and measurements, jump to the printable recipe card.
Make the cookie dough: Beat the butter and sugar, then add the eggs and vanilla and mix in the dry ingredients too.
Shape individual cookies: Arrange spoonfuls of cookie dough on a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet several inches apart.
Add the caramel: Put a caramel square on top of each one, add another spoonful of batter, and bake cookies (dough balls) until done, then let them cool completely on a wire rack.
Substitutions and Variations
For the caramel surprise inside, you can choose from Rolo Chewy Caramels in Milk Chocolate or other chocolate caramel candies to achieve a gooey caramel center. You can also use milk chocolate or dark chocolate instead of white chocolate chips.
What to Serve with Caramel Stuffed Chocolate Cookies
Just like with other stuffed cookies recipes, this triple chocolate cookie with chewy caramel in every bite makes a wonderful treat served with a cup of coffee or tea. Other options include Mars bar stuffed cookies and chocolate chip peanut butter cup stuffed cookies. If you want to make more than one kind of cookie, consider amaretti cookies or Italian chocolate filled cookies.
Store: Once they’re completely cool, you can store them in an airtight container for up to a week.
Freeze: Freeze them in batches for up to 3 months.
Thaw: Thaw them overnight in the refrigerator and then warm them back up in the microwave for 15 seconds to make the caramel center soften again.
Chocolate Chip Caramel Filled Cookies FAQs
If the caramel leaked out of the cookie, that means the second layer of cookie dough didn’t completely enclose it, so make sure the caramel is completely covered and sealed between the two layers of cookie dough balls, and you should end up with perfect soft melted caramel centers and no leakage.
Old-fashioned caramel tends to melt more, so you will get more of a melted caramel center that stays soft. If you prefer firm, chewy caramel centers, opt for Kraft caramels or another firmer type.
Caramel Stuffed Chocolate Cookie Recipe
Caramel Stuffed Chocolate Cookies
- 1 1/2 Cups all purpose flour
- 1 Teaspoon baking soda
- 1 Teaspoon baking powder
- 1 Cup salted butter softened
- 1/2 Cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 Cup white sugar
- 3/4 Cup brown sugar
- 3 Tablespoons milk
- 1/2 Cup white chocolate chips
- 1/2 Cup semisweet chocolate chunks
- 20 caramels squares
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease or place parchment paper on two baking sheets.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- With a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla. Beat well. Add flour mixture and milk alternately, mixing in between.
- Scoop tablespoonfuls of batter onto baking sheet, approximately 4 inches apart. Place caramel square on batter. Place another tablespoonful on top of caramel square. Bake 10 to 13 minutes.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.
Caramel stuffed chocolate cookies offer all the benefits of a triple chocolate cookie with soft, chewy caramel in every bite. These are delicious enough to please all the family and pretty enough to make great gifts.
You Might Also Like
Bella Bucchiotti is a storyteller, food lover, dog mom and adventure seeker living on the Pacific coast. She shares her passion for food, dogs, fitness, adventures, travel and philanthropy, in hopes of encouraging followers to run the extra mile, try new recipes, visit unfamiliar places and stand for a cause. Bella lives with Type 1 Diabetes and Celiac Disease.